Discussion Forums  >  App Store Rejections

Replies: 15    Views: 551

KRima
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 27, 2013
Sydney
06/05/13 08:09 PM (10 years ago)

App rejected for the third time

10.6 We found the following issues with the user interface of your app: 1. Did not integrate with iOS features. For example, the app should include features such as sharing, notification, searching, sorting, bookmarking, adding contact or calendar content. 2. Did not include iOS features. For example, it would be appropriate to use native iOS buttons and iOS features other than just web views, Push Notifications, or sharing. 3. Was only a PDF These examples identify types of issues discovered in your app but may not represent all such issues. It would be appropriate to thoroughly evaluate your app to address these types of issues. These Apple reviewers are driving me insane. The first and second rejections i completely agree with but this one is so stupid. Rejection 1: App too simple so they advised to make the app more interactive (even though its an EDUCATION app) and i added 2 quizzes and there will be 4 all up. Also they didnt like the Icon, background, buttons and the graphics were not great. Rejection 2: The naming of the App appears differently on the device compared ti iTunes Connect and bug on loading iPad rejection 3: Posted at the start of this post. I appealed this and am waiting for a response. If they reject it how can i make them happy with my app? How do i add a search option for instance and what is IOS native buttons? i need to do something to get this approved the client's patience is limited. Thank you in advanced.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
06/05/13 09:50 PM (10 years ago)
Hmm - that is frustrating to be sure. What plugins are you using in your app? To add 'native iOS buttons' you probably need to create a custom screen/plugin. But #3 says your app was just a 'pdf' document. Is that true? What are you trying to create with the app?

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
06/05/13 11:32 PM (10 years ago)
Can you post a screenshot? Jake

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
06/05/13 11:54 PM (10 years ago)
It can be super frustrating for sure. Basically, Apple wants you to build an app that keeps users engaged and coming back frequently to use the features of the app, or to consume new content. Static apps that don't have information updated often, or which are composed of content you can get on a website (like PDF files or standard HTML files) are less likely to be accepted. Some of the features that you can utilize which the reviewers seem to like are location maps, quizzes and some multimedia. Those go over super well. Let us know what plugins you are using, maybe post a screen shot or two, and we can provide more solid advice! Mark

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/05/13 11:59 PM (10 years ago)
How do i post screen shots?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
06/06/13 12:02 AM (10 years ago)
You can grab them and put them somewhere like DropBox or imageshack.com or something like that. Then just provide the link to us here.

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/06/13 02:14 AM (10 years ago)
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1adf2clqponbv4g/XG81vqT4ew My app is called Learn to read Quran which is basically an educational App specific for Muslims and it is meant to teach the user to read. Its got a beginner course and then an intermediate course with 2 advanced courses coming soon. I added info regarding rewards for recitation etc and Contact Us button and then 2 quizzes one being on the beginner course and another for the intermediate and 2 more to come for both the advanced courses.

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/06/13 02:20 AM (10 years ago)
The last picture is of the app icon on my device incase you were wondering how it looks like. If you want to upload my app in Xcode just search for The Prophetic Recitation (thats what the app is called on BT)

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
06/06/13 07:06 AM (10 years ago)
I love the graphics. I wonder if you could add a list of interesting hotspots for students to visit? They could all be listed on a menu screen, and clicking on one would go to a new menu screen with two options: 1 pointing to an info screen (maybe in English and Arabic?) and the other pointing to a map screen. You could start off with a handful of these and add more as time goes on. Just a thought.

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/06/13 04:16 PM (10 years ago)
Chris, Thank you for your comments and i will look into something. I got this response from Apple earlier today. Thank you for submitting an appeal to the App Review Board for your app, Learn to read Qur'an. We have considered your appeal and have determined that the original review findings are still appropriate since the user interface of your app doesn't meet expectations. Although your application does contain a couple quizzes, it does not have enough interactive functionality to be appropriate for the App Store. It would be appropriate to implement more interactive features for example, the ability for the user to go back and look at all their scores from the quizzes he/she has taken, prayer times, a compass showing the location of Mecca, push notifications alerting the user that it’s time to pray, etc. Apple and Apple customers place a high value on design and expect apps to provide a really great user experience. Apps should provide valuable utility or entertainment, draw people in with an attractive and well-organized UI, keep people engaged by offering compelling capabilities or content, and enable people to do something they couldn't do before or in a way they couldn't do it before. Apps should do one thing really well without being overly simplistic and missing functionality that people would expect to be there. They should also avoid being so complicated that people are confused about what the app does and how to use it. They should meet people's expectations and have features that are easy to identify and use. Apps should be fast and responsive. They should launch quickly, scroll information smoothly, load screens and content without delay, and immediately respond to pinches and swipes and other gestures. They should integrate well with iOS and other apps. For example, they should allow text selection and other relevant content to be shared with other apps or people. They should initiate a phone call, launch a web page in Safari, or view a street address in Maps when a phone number, URL, or address is tapped. Where appropriate, and with the users' permission, apps should use personal information stored on the device such as contacts and photos. To help you gain a better understanding of iOS user interface design we recommend: 1) Looking closely at apps such as Safari, Mail, Stocks, Weather, Photos, Messages, Calendar, Maps, Music, and Settings. These Apple apps demonstrate many of the concepts outlined above and are great examples of how to organize information, display content, and navigate through screens. 2) Watch the iOS Development Videos. These videos are of sessions presented by Technology Evangelists at recent iOS Tech Talks and provide lots of programming and design tips. 3) Watch the video The Ingredients of Great Apps which uses some award winning apps on the App Store as examples of how to make a great app 4) Watch the video iPhone and iPad User Interface Design for practical design tips you can use right away 5) Carefully read the iOS Human Interface Guidelines and double check that your app's user interface adheres to these valuable guidelines. 6) Read the App Design Basics section of the iOS App Programming Guide. It takes time and effort to create well-designed iOS app, but the benefits are worth it. Well-designed apps are used day after day instead of being ignored or deleted, they're talked about and gifted by people, they chart higher in the App Store, they're more popular, and they receive higher ratings and better reviews. Best regards, Ali App Review Board

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
06/06/13 10:45 PM (10 years ago)
dang - that guy has a pretty high standard for iOS apps. But it would be a pretty cool app to do all that! (automating push notifications at certain times of the day would get kind of tricky though).

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/07/13 04:55 PM (10 years ago)
I responded to his response pretty much asking him to agree on a few changes that if i do will get approved and he replied with the following: Thank you for your response. It is not required for you to implement one or any of the suggestions provided in our previous correspondence as they were simply examples of added interactive functionality. Regarding the use of Game Center to allow the user to check past scores, this is correct, since your app is not a game, the use of Game Center would not be appropriate. Displaying the scores and allowing the user to go back and see them should be implemented a different way. As far as wanting to keep your simple in nature, this is fine, however the app needs to have more interactive functionality before it can be approved for the App Store. We look forward to reviewing your revised application. Best regards, Ali App Review Board

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
06/08/13 02:14 AM (10 years ago)
Well that's certainly more realistic. Do any of the suggestions you've heard seem easy enough for you to do? I would try to incorporate one or two, and think about the others for the future. Then to solve the quiz problem... ;)

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/08/13 04:24 AM (10 years ago)
I was thinking if incorporating a search option with the BTM Search menu plugin (not even sure how it works yet) and also fixing the quiz problem but i think i will definitely need help with the code. I hear i need to code the results page but i got no idea how to do it. Help anyone? How about if i buy the NAD Advanced Quiz by Nadthevlad will that make my quizzes better and does the plugin include a score sheet that can be referred back to at anytime or are there any other plugins that i can buy to help me with this problem?

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
06/10/13 08:23 AM (10 years ago)
I don't believe the NAD Advanced Quiz does anything with the scoring, but check the readme to be sure. I haven't really done anything with that plugin yet. The search plugin will search the nicknames of each screen in your app. I'm working on a version that will also search content for HTML and Microsoft documents, but it won't be out for a couple months.

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/10/13 03:13 PM (10 years ago)
I was thinking of not solving the quiz scoring issue and incorporate the IOS functionality they want such as search options and maybe have a button that allows users to recommend the app to their friends. There is a plugin for that i think but i haven't used it yet. I will submit the app again with those easy extra additions and see how i go. The only reason i added the quizzes was because they rejected me the first time for the app being too simple and they wanted me to the app interactive whu=ich the app does not need in in my opinion. What else can i add that will be easy but they will love?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.