Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 8    Views: 239

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 12, 2014
Bilston - Engla...
05/24/14 07:25 AM (9 years ago)

Grrr - google map on real device issues!!

Ok - I know the forum is full of problems/issues readme's and crib sheets for Google maps but here's mine ..... I have read through everything, followed instructions to the letter. I have APIv2 keys for both debug and live - have updated my manifest accordingly and have exported and sideloaded my test apk onto a live device. Very basic, just a menu with one google map location that should load driving instructions - just wanted to iron out any issues prior to having this setup and configured in my proper app. Menu loads - when I hit the button, get a screen that just states "There was a problem creating a Google Map. In most cases this error occurs because the Android Project was configured properly to run Google Maps" Really doing my old head in this one - if I can get it working I will write a new PDF that details it end-to-end as alot of information so far doesn't quite tie up. One of the howto's linked on BT states: After getting your Google Maps API keys, you need to enter them in the projects strings.xml file. This file is included in your project download in the /src/values folder. Open /src/values/strings.xml with a simple text editor, or in Eclipse, then find two entries: googleMapsAPIKeyDebug googleMapsAPIKeyRelease Enter your Google Maps API keys in the appropriate sections. Next, you'll need to tell the screen_map.xml file which key to use. Open screen_map.xml and find the Google Maps API key entry. The value you here enter depends on how you're compiling. If you're compiling in Debug mode it should looks like this: android:apiKey="@string/googleMapsAPIKeyDebug" If you're compiling in Release mode it should look like this: android:apiKey="@string/googleMapsAPIKeyRelease" I have been all over my "strings.xml" file and the above does not exist, nor can I find reference anywhere to the other "android" lines mentioned. I have tried adding the relevant manually to strings.xml - still no difference :( Humbug!!!! My coding skills are exhausted (I have very little) and google.com is fed up with my searches too!! It makes no difference if I create the apk with debug or live key, still same issue on testing on live device. All permissions etc are as they should be - just baffled so help very very much appreciated at this point :)

kingelessar
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 10, 2014
UK
05/24/14 07:30 AM (9 years ago)
I don't think the addition to strings is still current. Just the manifest, as you said. Can't help much other than to say not to bother with strings.xml.

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Bilston - Engla...
05/24/14 07:34 AM (9 years ago)
Yeah - confess I didn't think that was valid but pushed it out there just in case!!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/24/14 07:53 AM (9 years ago)
The steps for BT 2.0 and BT 3.0 for maps are very different, be sure not to mix the two. I followed the published howto's and it worked - the trickiest part was setting up google, it needed to be specific for my app.

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Bilston - Engla...
05/24/14 08:55 AM (9 years ago)
Patience is a virtue I guess here - unloaded everything, closed Eclipse and packaged/downloaded again from BT. Loaded into Eclipse, setup correctly - made only '1' change to manifest = paste in api key for live. Exported using live key, side loaded onto my Samsung and boom .... works! I suspect I had been going around in circles with too many changes early doors so a clean start had it licked :) import project, import google play, associated within properties, add jar file, change manifest to include key - export and done! Always the simple ones eh!

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Bilston - Engla...
05/24/14 12:04 PM (9 years ago)
Nuts!! Ok, am I being really think & stupid and missing a trick or .... Google map loads with my 2 x defined points and shows my location - there appears to be no way however of actually getting the "directions" element to work/load at all! Have show directions set for each point in my BT control panel - even turned on Directions API in Google developer console. Is this a BT3 / MapAPI2 thing or has anyone actually got this working with directions? Android by the way!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
05/24/14 02:58 PM (9 years ago)
Driving directions are broken I'm afraid. Used to work back in the day. Checkout this thread - http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=5C35CEE04B197A01B3BCCC2&sortColumn=FT.id&sortUpDown=DESC&currentPage=2

Shorewalk
Lost but trying
Reg: Nov 06, 2012
location unknow...
05/25/14 01:43 AM (9 years ago)
Hi rburns50 I went through a similar process, see the forum thread: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=B9EC94423BBC4D59BA2C09B&fid=0B19EC7C02CBDD92F12FD08&sortColumn=FT.id&sortUpDown=DESC&currentPage=1 I didn´t manage to solve the problem so I went back and developed new projects via iOS. Android maps: Very good information can be found on BT (and from the members) but a everything is not up to date and sometimes confuses the whole process for us "newbies". I will start a new forum "step by step for Android maps" where anyone who has knowledge and advice could contribute to make the process building maps with Android easier. Grateful if you could contribute with your experiences.

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Bilston - Engla...
05/25/14 02:51 AM (9 years ago)
No worries, I will screen shot the process if I get chance and push it up. Confess however that the maps themselves are actually easy enough once you have a clean, un-tinkered with project setup - my ultimate frustration is the directions feature is apparently broke (BT3 issue) which leaves you with a google map full of callout markers only - not any good for me at the moment that implementation!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.