Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 3    Views: 292

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 11, 2013
Southern Califo...
08/13/14 09:39 PM (9 years ago)

Size of png files used for Launch Image

Hello all, I'm struggling to create all the different launch image sizes that are needed for different Apple devices. I've been using the Preview tool on my MacBook to resize the images and save them as .png files. Should I be concerned that these .png files are each about 400 kb? I'd like to keep the size of my app fairly reasonable, but at this rate there will be many megs worth of just these images, in addition to the actual app size. Any advice would be welcome! Janeen

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
08/13/14 10:25 PM (9 years ago)
Shouldn't be an issue. Dont be shy, I had an app for a customer in the store at 98 meg. Only things is in the past if a user wanted to update the app ver 50 meg they needed to do it via wireless. So its pretty common.

Pete_331
Lost but trying
Reg: Jul 16, 2014
Perth
08/14/14 12:48 AM (9 years ago)
This is a good website for reducing .png file sizes while retaining quality. give it a crack. https://tinypng.com/

Janeen
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 11, 2013
Southern Califo...
08/14/14 10:38 AM (9 years ago)
Oh holy moly!!!! That tinypng.com is fantastic! I got a 75% reduction on my files with no noticeable visual difference. Everyone should use this tool. THANK YOU @Pete_331! And @Kaybee, I think you are exactly right - I'm being too shy about stepping out and just getting my first app done. I need to stop worrying about every little thing and just get my app out there! Thanks to both of you for your help and encouragement!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.