Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 4    Views: 176

Sassy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jul 27, 2012
Perth Western A...
02/04/14 10:36 PM (10 years ago)

xls Documents ( or any document) not loading IOS

The app I am developing needs a xls document to load. I have followed all the steps 1- Copy the XLS to the BT Documents Folder in both Xcode and Finder ( app location) 2- uploaded the document to File Manager on the BT Site 3- under Document Location within the BT site I picked the xls document that I uploaded. 4- I cleaned and re-built .. 5- Same error over and over. Data for this screen has not been downloaded. Please check you internet connection. I have seen multiple posts like this one but I have never seen the person come back and say how they fixed it? So after I uploaded a document to BT File Manager do I need to re-compile the source code and downloaded the app source again? Any help would be appreciated :)

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/04/14 11:19 PM (10 years ago)
Hello @Sassy, Adding your document to the BT File Manager doesn't do anything but (1) give you a place to store the media you associate with your app, and (2) provide a URL that you can reference for that particular media. Nothing in your File Manager will get bundled with the project download at all. It's simply a repository to make keeping track of things easier. If you want to include the XLS document in your app (and not reference it via a URL), putting it in the BT_Docs folder is the right thing. Make sure there are no spaces or special characters in the file name for the document. And, after you put it in the BT_Docs folder, you also have to drag it into the same folder in your Xcode project. That's the only way it gets included in the build. Here's a video I did that explains the File Manager in more detail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEFMUVfxreU Hope this helps a bit! I think the step your missing is not dragging the file into Xcode (unless you reference it via a URL in your Control Panel). Thanks! Mark

Sassy
Aspiring developer
Perth Western A...
02/04/14 11:36 PM (10 years ago)
Hi Mark and thanks for your answer :) I have added it to both the Xcode BT_Doc folder and the Apps BT)Docs folder as well.. It just still brings the error up :( I have however got it to work via entering the URL option for the plugin of which I learned via your video tutorial that you linked above.. Just not sure what I am doing wrong as I followed all the steps to the letter

Sassy
Aspiring developer
Perth Western A...
02/04/14 11:40 PM (10 years ago)
Is it possible to make the xls document editable once included into the app ?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/05/14 06:30 AM (10 years ago)
"Is it possible". Yes. "Is it easy?" Probably not, lol! With respect to any current BT plugin, you can read an Excel Document, but I don't think they can be edited. I did find this however: http://www.libxl.com which would make for a rather interesting plugin if implemented correctly, but it would take a bit of trial and error to get it down, I suspect. I found it doing a search, and sourced it from this article on how to use it in iOS: http://xcodetipss.blogspot.com/2013/11/create-excelxls-file-programatically-in.html Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.