Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 3    Views: 159

mobi
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 23, 2014
NY
03/29/14 05:26 AM (10 years ago)

Background_struggling to get correct

I am trying to add a full size background image. When I set it to, full screen, the image distorts but fills the screen like I want(minus the distort part). When I set it to Full Screen Preserve the image doesnt fit the screen. The image im using is sized at 1200x1200. I saw in a post someone suggesting square size images but im starting to think I read it wrong. Im using a 7 inch tablet(nexus 7) for testing. Can someone help me understand a few things. What size image should I use that will accommodate most devices? Does full screen preserve, do what it sounds like? Fills the users screen and keep the proportions of the image? Thanks for any help p.s. is there a search function in the forum that im not seeing?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
03/29/14 09:33 AM (10 years ago)
Hi @mobi There is no short answer to you question, but reading this will give you some understanding of the problem. http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html As you know, a display is not square, it is oblong, but in the android world, there are no absolutely set sizes of oblong. If you use a square image and set it to be rendered to full size, it stretches the image to fit the display and screen, but it distorts. Or if you preserve the ratio, it doesn't fill the display. To avoid distortion, you would need to not stretch the image or for the image to be similar ratio height to width to your display. Or, with square image, you could then try any of the other positioning options, making sure the image is be bigger (in pixels) than your display. The compromise here is you'll always lose the edges of the image somewhere as it will be cropped by the physical display, but when you rotate the device, you should still see the image reach all 4 sides of the physical display. The other downside is how much cropping you get on a small display. Like I said, there is no short answer !

mobi
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 23, 2014
NY
03/29/14 10:20 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks. The square, in my opinion, does not seem like the way to go. Everything you mentioned does make sense. After reading over that doc and a few other things and playing around with setting positions I ended up getting it how I need. It seems the different ways can all have there place in certain instances.

AppStoreDownload
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 19, 2014
New York
07/04/14 01:58 AM (9 years ago)
Try to Glamourize app which have features of providing custom dock and background images.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.