Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 7    Views: 224

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
01/19/14 09:32 AM (10 years ago)

Plugin Market - Need indication that plugin has been updated for BTv3

How about a simple icon (BT3) to let the customer know when the plugin has been designed or updated to the new BTv3 standards. Those developers who go back and update for v3 would be recognized, and the devlopment communiity would have reasonable assurance that they should also integrate the newer version. (Especially now that we have 100+ plugins). A simple checkbox for plugin developers when they submit (honor system) would display the icon in the store. Just as important for BT team members to do the same with any of the core free plugins that have been updated. (I will be one of the first to grab the updated Map Location ;) We all have been encouraged to move to BT v3, and thanks to some great advice from others here we are able to edit the core and developer plugins to fix bugs here and there in our Apps. However how do we know when it is safe to transition over to plugins that are downloaded as part of the new zip? Until then when developers list in the Plugin description what was updated in the versions (like Susan's Menu with Image) it really helps. Hopefully a simple request that could bubble up to the top of a long list ;) Thanks

Uelsimon
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 25, 2012
NYC
01/19/14 10:11 AM (10 years ago)
or a subpage even with ‘made for 3.0’ plugins listed.

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
01/19/14 10:14 AM (10 years ago)
Most developers should have a change log inside of the plugin description. Many do state that they are in compliance with 3.0 or not. But a little button I guess would be faster. I think the plugin market page is still in its infancy. There have been some mockups for a new layout. But right now it's not at the top of the list. Getting to core fully error free is probably the most important at this point!

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
01/19/14 10:27 AM (10 years ago)
This is also a transitional issue. At some point, we will only have 3.0 downloads available I suspect, and then an indicator would look odd. Just my $.02

NCbuzz
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 11, 2013
Lillington, NC
01/19/14 11:51 AM (10 years ago)
Two good points. However looking for a quick alternative that will not take away any developer resources working on BT v3 core. For example looking at the current three most recent plugins, two have a note that says (3.0 only), and the third has nothing that mentions v3. Can not rely on initial release date. If no resources are available, then maybe a low-tech solution reminding anyone who releases or updates to include the info. You are right that those with version comments history (like Interactive Quiz) make it easy to know what was updated. Ok- on to more important stuff...

Uelsimon
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 25, 2012
NYC
01/19/14 12:28 PM (10 years ago)
sounds like we should setup a google doc to keep track. :)

chadh0130
Apple Fan
Reg: Nov 05, 2011
Rhode Island
01/20/14 06:07 PM (10 years ago)
Or somehow receive an automatic generic email when the plugin developer uploads the new package. I'm sure there is some documentation in the code that tracks what plugin each user has. . . therefore the system would know to pull/populate your name in a generic email that notifies the plugin users that there has been an update to said plugin then you as the user can go to your plugins page of your self hosted panel and update. I only use this as a reference for my current job. When I have a new assignment made for me, I and along with several others, receive an email to login into the system to check out my assignments/tasks. I imagine something similar to this can be done.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
01/20/14 06:12 PM (10 years ago)
None of this is hard - it's just that it takes time to implement, test, and roll out. I suspect we'll see something along these lines before 2014 is over, but there's a list of things to get done first.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.