Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 16    Views: 387

Leo
Lost but trying
Reg: Nov 19, 2013
Manaus in the A...
12/12/13 09:49 AM (10 years ago)

App from a website

Hi all, I am trying here to do a Statement of Work. Going surely to HTML, I will start building a website, a Wordpress that use Foundation/Reverie framework. This is because Reverie is responsive, minimalist and easely customizable. I am thinking a lot about: my main target is the app, but until now everything indicates this way. The app is Encyclopedia of the Amazon. It have a dictionary like structure from a root of Categories. Very easy for me to build a Wordpress website with Categories and articles that are the entries of the Encyclopedia. The learning curve appears when I go to customize Reverie, but at this time the organization of contents are on the way: collaborators can write and edit article, I can organize assets. I want for Reverie a very minimalist interface. The main menu just contains Categories. Opening a Category, user get a list of clickable entries, which are articles. When the website structure is ready and articles are published, it's time to star the app from Buzztouch. I can create an HTML Pro screen for each wordpress article. The responsive design of Reverie allow contents to adapt and display on every screen (I am mostly interested in iPad/iPhone, for now). I want now to make the app an app and not a simple website, adding some interesting plugins. An app internal menu with the Advanced Search, the Add to Favorite, Maps, user Notepad and Paint, Sharing options... From the commercial strategy, the website is free to browse contents, if the user wish an offline browsing, then purchase the app. I am aware that I know what I want but I don't know how to do, I am just tracing a plan, that can be modified at any time, specially with some suggestions that I hope will came frm this forum.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
12/12/13 03:04 PM (10 years ago)
Hey Leo, I'm not sure what you are asking? LA

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/12/13 03:34 PM (10 years ago)
"I am just tracing a plan, that can be modified at any time, specially with some suggestions that I hope will came frm this forum." Leo, When you've figured out how you want to approach the build, the forum is here, and we're all happy to help :) Cheers! -- Smug

Leo
Lost but trying
Manaus in the A...
12/12/13 04:53 PM (10 years ago)
What I am asking is if this plan make sense. Somebody have a similar experience: build an app starting from a website? Is my approach realistic? Can the HTML pro screen manage pages from the Wordpress site? I suppose that the plugin will display just the contents of the correspondent page for off line use. Is it correct? Happens that the webpage, that is part of of a web site contains links to other pages of the same site. Example: the page of the 'Amazon river' contains the words 'Negro river', which is linked to another webpage about the Negro river. When I built the app, how will react the same link? Will try to access the site or will find the page into the app? Is it needed, at the Buzztouch panel, to redirect all links inside the page to the correspondent screen? Is from the user side a convenient way to display contents from a website? And menu? Can I use the menu of the website, or I need to create a new one for the app? Will the screen load the entire page, or just the article of this page? It sound very confused, but I hope that from your comments I can clear the confusion. Thanks for helping, Leo

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
12/12/13 05:05 PM (10 years ago)
I think you have a great plan. Only thing is to be careful as Apple will reject if it's close to a website. LA

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
12/12/13 05:13 PM (10 years ago)
@la you say apple rejects apps if its too close to a website, can you be more specific?

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
12/12/13 05:23 PM (10 years ago)
@EdReyes, I have no experience with this but only from posts and from other users that Apple will reject if it can be just as website. In sum, Apple wants you to use more things that a website cannot/does not use. Basically they are saying if it can be done with a website, then why an App? Again, I have no experience in/with this. LA

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
12/12/13 06:09 PM (10 years ago)
@la yeah im just making sure, in my app projects, i try to incorporate any native hardware functionality into the app first then whatever website related content the client wants basically laying out a website and app is the same with the exception that the app lives on the device and can run without internet connection its weird because my adobe phonegap dreamweaver training goes through making a mobile app using html5 and css3, basically a website then compiling for mobile devices for submission kind of concerning if there is a possibility that apple rejects apps based on resembling websites

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
12/12/13 06:11 PM (10 years ago)
@EdReyes, I think your good! LA

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/12/13 10:09 PM (10 years ago)
Your design work is top notch, Ed. But like LA says; if it looks like a website, and acts like a website, Apple considers it a website. The best approach is a well distributed combination of technology and artistry. Artistry you already have a handle on. With respect to Technology, I recently finished an app for a client that was almost all HTML, however, all content was bundled 'within' the app so that it could be used offline, and also included a few 'cool' plugins, such as Danny's Audio Stream plugin, that sets it apart from a 'website'. Launch was delayed a couple of times on the Apple side; once rejected for in-app donations (a no no), and the other I'm not entirely sure, I suspect it was a copyright check (the stream was a live broadcast), but eventually they OK'd it. Cheers! -- Smug

EdReyes
Lost but trying
location unknow...
12/12/13 11:27 PM (10 years ago)
@Smug @LA Thanks guys great info

Leo
Lost but trying
Manaus in the A...
12/13/13 01:50 PM (10 years ago)
Yes, great info! But my original plan is seriously compromised. Doing a website don't give pages which can be used in the app. Somebody have experience with Edge from Adobe? Or Dreamweaver better?

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
12/13/13 08:59 PM (10 years ago)
Leo -- you have a very good plan at combining WordPress, HTML and plugins that make the app be more than just a web site. You may want to checkout Danny's plugin for WordPress at his personal web site. But first, ask Danny a few more questions to truly understand its value. http://bt-addons.com/news/250-wordpress-content-script-2.html I think HTML Pro is being mis-understood as a fancy plugin for HTML Content. It is simply a "link to a BuzzTouch screen from HTML". You will be fine by cross-linking articles within your WordPress posts. Everything will just work fine if you just use the Custom URL plugin to point to your WP web site. -- Niraj

Leo
Lost but trying
Manaus in the A...
12/14/13 01:51 PM (10 years ago)
Thank you Niraj, very useful information! I checked Edge Reflow and I lost my time. It not produce HTML file, it is another commercial option of Adobe. The application output a file with an Adobe exclusive extension, and this cannot be used outside of Edge. The real way is to embrace Dreamweaver, even form Adobe is a traditional program targeted to professional. I have no other options until now. The Wordpress plugin seems to be my path. Please Niraj, say me, can those website HTML be downloaded for offline view? Another sunny day here in the Amazon, we cleaned the spring today, the source water we drink and cook from. This is a very big value, almost religious: the water as it is borning from the earth, pure, with the most natural taste. Cheers, Leo

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
12/14/13 03:53 PM (10 years ago)
Hello Leo, I use the freeware SiteSucker on my Mac for many years to download a web site and it's files. SiteSucker gets all the HTML, Images, JS and CSS files from the web site onto your computer. Then you can put those files into your BT app. http://sitesucker.us/home.html -- Niraj

Leo
Lost but trying
Manaus in the A...
12/14/13 09:09 PM (10 years ago)
Good tip, Niraj, I downloaded SiteStucker and I am ready with the Blog Pro plugin. But nothing about Wordpress, I am waiting answer from Danny...

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
12/14/13 09:35 PM (10 years ago)
Go ahead and start creating a few sample posts (articles) with WordPress. Then using the Custom URL Plugin, bring your WordPress site into a BuzzTouch app. With that Reverie theme, the content will automatically be transformed into a mobile version of WordPress. Then it is simply a matter of adjustments and adding on a few native plugins such as the Quiz and Image Gallery. When Danny responds on your question, you will have enough knowledge and experience to make a decision on using that plugin or not. -- Niraj

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.