krompa
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 14, 2013
Bristol
05/06/18 06:24 AM (5 years ago)

Android - getScreenDataByItemNickname

Hi All I'm updating an old android app into the latest BT app format. Previously, I have done quite a lot customization of code and unfortunately some of this customization isn't sitting well with the latest BT version. For instance, previously I used the following code to open the 'Settings' screen from the 'Settings' button, making use of the getScreenDataByItemNickname to obtain the screen data from the BT_config file: // setup click handler for settings button btn_settings.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener() { public void onClick(View v) { BT_item tapScreenLoadObject = appname_appDelegate.rootApp.getScreenDataByItemNickname("Settings"); loadScreenObject(null, tapScreenLoadObject); BT_debugger.showIt(fragmentName + ": settings"); } }); Unfortunately, with the latest BT app package, the getScreenDataByItemNickname is deprecated and I'm getting the following: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String com.appname.data_models.BT_item.getItemType()' on a null object reference at the following line in BT_fragment: //type of screen to load next... String nextScreenType = theScreenData.getItemType(); Any help much appreciated. Regards, krompa

krompa
Lost but trying
Bristol
05/06/18 10:10 AM (5 years ago)
What I'm not convinced about is that the following useful code really is deprecated: getScreenDataByItemNickname getScreenDataByItemId ... because this code appears in a number of the 'core' plugins (e.g. Menu List Simple and Menu Buttons as well as BT_fragment.java and other files. Given it is code written by BT, I don't think that it is deprecated. But it is appearing with a line through it and labelled as deprecated in (my) Android Studio. Can others confirm if this is the case in any recently downloaded Android app?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/08/18 09:37 PM (5 years ago)
I haven't actually looked at the code, but I suspect that the 'method' is not deprecated; those are custom methods that David wrote. However, the core code that make up those methods may need an update. I haven't messed with Android for a bit, but I'll try and take time to drag a project out and take a look. Cheers! -- Smug

krompa
Lost but trying
Bristol
05/09/18 02:56 AM (5 years ago)
Thanks Smug See Android Studio screenshot of a custom plugin, but the same is true in the untouched BT core plugins ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6rb2bqjguu16t6/getScreenDataByItemNickname.png?dl=0 When I run the app, it crashes because there is no returned value for getScreenDataByItemNickname I agree with you that the method is probably not deprecated. But it would be good to see a fix as it is one of the most useful methods in BT.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.