Tabbinski
Lost but trying
Reg: Aug 08, 2015
Vancouver and A...
08/08/15 03:56 PM (8 years ago)

Do I have to have a menu on the first page?

Do I have to have a menu on the first page? Is it possible to forego the menu and run some JavaScript on the front page instead? Say, for example a single button that calls up a random quote?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/08/15 04:21 PM (8 years ago)
Well, first welcome to Buzztouch! Hope you find your way around. If you have any questions, you've found the right place to ask! :) So, here's the scoop; You don't *have* to use a menu for the first page, but users will need a way to navigate around the app (assuming it's more than a single screen app). setting up 'which' screen is your first page is as easy as selecting a screen from the 'layout' choice of the app control panel. So 'if' you setup your first page as a screen with javascript that calls up a random quote, where do they go 'after' that, and 'how' do they get there? If that's what you want to do, I might suggest using Chris1's 'HTML Pro' plugin. It will allow an HTML page to be displayed, and it also has the capability of using a 'link' in the page to navigate to another page. This would give you javascript capability on the page you display, as well as a way to lead the user to a different page (keeping in mind you're the one setting it all up). Another idea would be to use 'tabs'. The first tab is the 'home screen' (and can be a quote page, or any other screen) and the other tabs (up to 5 tabs total) can be other screen choices. Does that make sense? Cheers! -- Smug

Tabbinski
Lost but trying
Vancouver and A...
08/08/15 04:34 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks a lot Smug. That answers it pretty clearly. I'll take a look at the html plugin you mentioned to see if that will work.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/09/15 11:30 PM (8 years ago)
Welcome to Buzztouch, Tabbinski! Glad you're here! Smugs advice is spot-on as usual! One thing I would add...keep in mind that if you are developing for Apple, a single screen app like that, or one that relies on HTML and Javascript alone, "might" have a difficult time getting approved. They tend to like apps that show off what the device is capable of doing. So, the more functionality you can add, the better. For Android, it doesn't matter so much...they approve just about everything. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions! Mark

Tabbinski
Lost but trying
Vancouver and A...
08/10/15 07:33 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks for the heads up, GoNorthWest

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.