SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/29/16 01:17 AM (7 years ago)

Android Studio v2 stable released.

http://tools.android.com/download/studio/builds/2-1 On my Macintosh, it seems you can't update 'from within' the app. So I downloaded the new version, renamed my old version, and dropped into my applications directory. On launch, it asked if I wanted to import my old settings (yes, I did). There are some other updates needed, depending on what other SDK's you use, but you don't need to re-download 'everything'; it merely updates your current SDK's. A couple of them could take some time, again depending on your particular setup. Otherwise, very painless. Cheers! -- Smug

DougJoseph
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 30, 2016
Stonewood
04/29/16 01:20 AM (7 years ago)
Thanks!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
04/29/16 01:38 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Smug, thanks for the tip. I have noticed in the forums people have Android issues with the odd plugin which seem to be Android Studio (AS) specific; problems that do not occur when using Eclipse. I understand and accept that AS is the way forward, but why is it that some things don't work?. Is it because there is a specific way AS needs to be configured for Buzztouch?. I adopted a gradle settings that you published a while back Smug that helped my test app to compile. Is there something else that needs to be customised correctly? Or is it deeper than that. I ask because I have AS running, but I also have Eclipse. I also have the notion that for self hosted, the Android set-up seems very Eclipse friendly and I have found in my (limted) tests that AS didn't yield an app that worked quite as well. I have a sneaky feeling I am not alone. Any thoughts? Alan

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
04/29/16 01:49 AM (7 years ago)
Certainly not 'all', but most of the problems I've seen when migrating to Android Studio is that not all of the libs seem to be carried over or referenced properly. It's gotten to the point where I don't think about what I'm doing anymore, I just do it... 1) I check my Project 'source' directory, and make sure that the libs have been carried to my new 'target' directory. 2) I edit my build.gradle file and ensure 'the usual suspects' are correct or corrected. a) Compile SDK Version b) dependancies include any missed jar files c) I'll need to find a new way, but currently I've been including apache http legacy stuff. It's going bye bye. Once that is done, I do a gradle build and see what new and exciting errors pop up. But those steps usually cure most of the generic 'project' errors, and just leaves any specific plugin style error. I don't think I've ever encountered an App that didn't have *some* problem, whether I used Eclipse or AS, lol! The reason the current BT setup seems Eclipse friendly, is because it was designed for eclipse :) However, David will be updating all that eventually, and even if it takes him forever or never, the rest of the world is heading towards Android Studio. Eclipse can work for a while, but it won't work forever, and eventually, like iOS 6, no one will support it any longer. So I'm biting the bullet and learning all the tricks of Android Studio. But I doubt you're alone in wanting to stick with Eclipse. I still have it installed too, lol! Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
04/29/16 04:56 AM (7 years ago)
I've also found some of the newer Android plugins were not designed to work with Eclipse, so there is another reason. Things have been are a bit hectic recently but when I have a little downtime, I'll take the plunge again. Cheers, Alan

yenael
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 17, 2013
Detroit
04/29/16 02:51 PM (7 years ago)
Im coming back trying to work on an app and I am totally lost.. :( Where can I find the steps to fix my android studio to make sure I can compile my app? I keep getting the Parse error when I download the apk to install. I keep trying to fix the build gradle and all that, but i am missing something. I did the google play services and youtube library since I have anwatchlist, but I still cant get rid of the parse error. No errors are in the file either it generates the apk. Oh and my phone uses Kitkat 4.4 so if my settings need to reflect that, I would love some feedback. I already unchecked the option about unknown sources apps. I updated to Android Studio2 and didnt want to but the android 1.5 didnt compile right either.

yenael
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 17, 2013
Detroit
04/29/16 02:52 PM (7 years ago)
Im am sorry, I must be high LOL I should have placed this comment in the main topic area, I was so frustrated with it..lol.

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
04/29/16 08:07 PM (7 years ago)
I found Android studio to be more strict as to how we write our java code. Where eclipse would let some some bad coding habits slide, Android Studio won't. This is a good thing as it will force us to write better safer code.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
04/30/16 02:01 AM (7 years ago)
@yenael what 'parse' issues? The interpretation of Data, or the soon to be defunct SDK? Could you elaborate a little? Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.