Discussion Forums  >  Grunts, Groans, Complaints

Replies: 9    Views: 292

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 10, 2012
Wisconsin, USA
09/09/14 09:43 AM (9 years ago)

iOS / Android ... what post are for which platform

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has found a good way to search on the forums here for one OR the other, based on the platform that your app is being developed for. I guess this is more of an Android post, as the greater majority develop for iOS (mainly or only) and most posts are related to that platform. I find it very difficult to locate posts/information based only on, or mainly for, Android, which I only develop for right now. I have done searches and read through 1/2 dozen to a dozen posts, before I find one that is related to Android. For me, it can make it very frustrating/unsettling/troublesome to not be able to find Android platform information, without taking a lot of time and reading a lot of iOS posts. Newcomers to Buzztouch that develop for Android may experience this also. Hopefully, with the upcoming release of BTCentral, this may be addressed. This is not a 'battle post' between the platforms, it is a post to try and find a way to maybe make it easier for the Android platform developers to find the useful information that is needed. Thanks and happy app creating everyone :-) Kevin

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
09/09/14 01:11 PM (9 years ago)
To be honest it is like secret squirrel when it comes android support. Having been on this forum for a few years the post are majorly on the iOS side, mainly because people find it easier to develop for iOS. People on the forum share tonnes of code and snippets and fixes. What I have noticed is when android questions are asked then a few of the good android users will help built behind the scenes, not maliciously I'm sure, but the post will end with a PM me and no one posts the fix. This isn't alone to this forum either, loads of good iOS code bloggers on the net share loads of source code, android is a bit more difficult to find and use. If you have a query an android legend will pop up and help, maybe once BTCentral is released a newer forum maybe setup. Another massive problem is vague questions who don't state which platform this can cause a lot of confusion, iOS warriors going in to support 8 posts later it was for android, eerie silence and the post is never rectified.

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Wisconsin, USA
09/09/14 01:39 PM (9 years ago)
"What I have noticed is when android questions are asked then a few of the good android users will help built behind the scenes, not maliciously I'm sure, but the post will end with a PM me and no one posts the fix." I have noticed this myself (from my reading) "Another massive problem is vague questions who don't state which platform this can cause a lot of confusion, iOS warriors going in to support 8 posts later it was for android, eerie silence and the post is never rectified." Yes I have noticed that also. "This isn't alone to this forum either, loads of good iOS code bloggers on the net share loads of source code, android is a bit more difficult to find and use." I can find a lot that will do what I want or need to do, on Android natively, but converting from native Android to Buzztouch usable ... seems to be the issue I run into. I can make it work perfectly if I do not use Buzztouch and just make it a direct native Android app, but that defeats the purpose of using Buzztouch, which I do not like or want to do. The CMS control Panel features of Buzztouch is the big thing for me. Thanks for the comment Kittsy

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
09/09/14 01:42 PM (9 years ago)
I have found many of the tutorials use activities and not fragments which confused me initially. If you can use eclipse and make these tutorials work you will be surprised at how easy it will be to transfer them to a blank plugin. I have had good success through hacking around again a lot easier in iOS but still very doable. Throw your questions into the forum. we can see what we can do

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Wisconsin, USA
09/09/14 01:47 PM (9 years ago)
Well the current issue I am having "should be" a simple thing to do ... lol I will keep plugging away at it for now and post if I start to go bald ;-)

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
09/09/14 01:48 PM (9 years ago)
more importantly if you fix it post it, so the next weary android traveller can use it

KevinPerry
Android Fan
Wisconsin, USA
09/09/14 01:54 PM (9 years ago)
"more importantly if you fix it post it, so the next weary android traveller can use it" Definitely will be publishing the plugins when I am finished with them. When finished, I may want to talk to an iOS developer and see about working together (somehow) to make it cross platform capable (if the same features/capabilities are available for iOS). But that is a ways off yet. Other than that I will post what info I can about how to make it easier to convert from native Android to Buzztouch, for this, that, or the other thing.

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Liverpool
09/09/14 01:55 PM (9 years ago)
well feel free to drop me a line if you need a hand

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
09/09/14 05:59 PM (9 years ago)
Even though I am not (yet) an Android fellow, I like Kevin's enthusiasm and pathway. We need more of Kevin! :-) -- Niraj

Paul Rogers
Android Fan
Reg: May 30, 2011
UK
09/10/14 03:41 PM (9 years ago)
Try a google search using something like, site:buzztouch.com/forum/ android followed by the problem. The issue I think is that many android problems may have a multitude of possible fixes. Trying to troubleshoot on the forum becomes futile. I know, I used to try to help until it took up too much time. Even on stackoverflow.com an android problem posted may have a whole stream of possible solutions yet someone will still comment with "tried all these, none of them work". @Kittsy is right, threads usually end in "PM me", it's not malicious, it's just in the end it's easier/quicker to see what's going wrong if you have access to the project or arrange a teamviewer session.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.