Discussion Forums  >  App Store Rejections

Replies: 11    Views: 255

Tooly
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 29, 2012
Omaha, NE
04/09/13 06:50 PM (11 years ago)

Third Rejection

Well I just got my third rejection. My app is a 3D illustrated version of the ADA building code. Would be useful for architects, contractors, realtors, code officials etc. Originally I got rejected for being primarily a book. So I went back and over 100 of my 3D models interactive where you could spin and/or rotate them. Also added quizzes, notepad, and a map feature to find nearby ADA Centers with directions. Here is a Youtube vid showing the app in use. http://youtu.be/XB6p9EqnbNc Since I had over 320 pictures and over 100 interactive models I made them web based to keep the file size down. Here's what I got from Apple. 2.12: Apps that are not very useful, are simply web sites bundled as apps, or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected 10.6: Apple and our customers place a high value on simple, refined, creative, well thought through interfaces. They take more work but are worth it. Apple sets a high bar. If your user interface is complex or less than very good it may be rejected 2.12 We found that your app only provides a very limited set of features. While we value simplicity, we consider simplicity to be uncomplicated - not limited in features and functionality. We understand that there are no hard and fast rules to define useful or entertaining, but Apple and Apple customers expect apps to provide a really great user experience. Apps should provide valuable utility or entertainment, draw people in by offering compelling capabilities or content, or enable people to do something they couldn't do before or in a way they couldn't do it before. We encourage you to review your app concept and evaluate whether you can incorporate additional content and features to be in compliance with the Guidelines. For information on the basics of creating great apps, watch the video The Ingredients of Great Apps. 10.6 Lastly, we found the following issues with the user interface of your app: - Did not include iOS features. For example, it would be appropriate to use native iOS buttons and iOS features other than just web views, Push Notifications, or sharing. - Reference guide with PDFs and images in a table view. These examples identify types of issues discovered in your app but may not represent all such issues. It would be appropriate to thoroughly evaluate your app to address these types of issues. Any advice is much much appreciated!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
04/09/13 07:16 PM (11 years ago)
I got the exact same reason for my app, the one 'smugmsgloc' is based on... "While we value simplicity, we consider simplicity to be uncomplicated - not limited in features and functionality." made me want to slap the reviewer into tomorrow, lol! I wish I had something to say; but I've watched the video... I think it's hot. And my Apple 'approval' experience isn't as much as others... So I have much good karma for you, but not so much for advice... In hopes someone can provide some better guidance. Niraj has started a pretty good 'be careful for...' list here: https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=E0F942F3752234E14587A81 Good Luck, and let us know if we can help in any fashion! Cheers! -- Smug

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
04/09/13 08:31 PM (11 years ago)
@Tooly: Agree with Smug 100% - this is a cool, useful, and great purpose for an app. Reviewers that don't agree have to be the hardest part of this darned thing! I don't have much advice either but maybe team-up with a ninja-designer to figure out a way to style it up a bit? Not sure this would help but a fancy menu and a neato animated header graphic may go along way? Dunno, just a thought. Keep up the good work and remember that Apple is only PART of this, not all of it by any means. Don't let them decide how you're software making future unfolds.

Tooly
Aspiring developer
Omaha, NE
04/09/13 09:18 PM (11 years ago)
Thank you Smug and David, it's very reassuring that you think I have a quality app. I'll definitely keep trying, I've put in way too much work give up now. David, I'll look into sprucing up the look and some other ways to get this thing approved. Thank you again.

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
04/09/13 11:11 PM (11 years ago)
Hi I have watched the video and I think that, on this occasion, Apple got it right. Your content is awesome, but it does look like visiting a site, it has no reckognizable Apple user identity and - the main question - so what? With your app, the user visits, watches and then - does what? Scribbles on a piece of paper which elements to buy? Goes to a computer keyboard and writes a note to himself what to buy? Picks up a phone to tell someone what was decided? Let the user keep some data on the device, only then it is his/her own project. At the very least, let them keep a list of the elements that they have surveyed, chosen or have looked at. Let them then email that list to someone else, or share the data with the architect, contractor or spouse. The apps are at their best when they mirror the personality and choices of their user. Otherwise, it is just surfing the web. To be honest, my apps are also guilty of being non-personalized, but I publish them on Android, where there is no Apple police. Still, it is wise not only to strive for the best user experience, but to strive to be useful as well. Let the user invest some time into the app and then they will come back to use it on their own. That will automatically increase the number of page views and then it is not so difficult to start monetizing. Content or usefulness first, interactivity second, personalizing third, and only then monetization. Otherwise, there is no one to monetize from.

thegibcoyote
Apple Fan
Reg: Feb 01, 2011
Gibraltar
04/10/13 02:45 AM (11 years ago)
Tooly, I have a suggestion. Apple seems to check the screenshots as a point of reference and if those are limited, then they will reject quickly with exactly the excuse they gave you. Suggestion is to take a lot of screen shots of the main parts of the app that highlight its usefulness and functionality and get those posted with your submission. I bet you the APP will get approved when you submit it. Alas Apple seems to have the screen shots as first point of reference for usefulness of the APP and if they see only a couple with web type delivery they will reject. I had to include a few more shots showing other functionalities and that worked ace ! Give it a try I have two APPS in the market at present https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/key2gib/id505248290?mt=8 and https://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/thefsc/id604390885?mt=8 The FSC I had to include more screenshots into submission get it approved. Hope this helps mate Regards Alan Pereira

thegibcoyote
Apple Fan
Reg: Feb 01, 2011
Gibraltar
04/10/13 02:46 AM (11 years ago)
The FSC APP by the way is Self Hosted Platform ! he he he

SheriDee
Code is Art
Reg: Sep 23, 2011
location unknow...
04/10/13 06:56 AM (11 years ago)
The content of this app is amazing. Did you do the 3D objects? I see from the video just a couple of things to polish it up. Ok here is my two cents....and a designer perpective. UTILIZE THE PLUGIN MARKET!!!!!! Home Screen: Use the Carousel or Circle Menu Menu screen could flip,fade or something better than just slide left and right. Put Tabs on the bottom: Such as HOME>ABOUT>MORE INFO>CONTACT US Use the tabs to explain the app more by either using a video plugin and quiz plugin. Let us know when it is the market...have a buyer here!

Tooly
Aspiring developer
Omaha, NE
04/10/13 09:19 AM (11 years ago)
Thank you everyone for your advice and input. It's given me some ideas on what I can do. Especially after giving my brain and emotions a chance to rest!

WolfTimJ
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 20, 2011
Rockwall, TX
04/10/13 10:24 AM (11 years ago)
I'd try thegibcoyote 's advice. Maybe just jazz up the menus with some color too, and have some text on those 3D model screens that tells you they are something more than just pictures, the reviewer probably didn't spend the time to see which were static and which were interactive. Very nice app! I did an app with all the ADA laws in each of the 50 states, maybe I can put a link to yours in it when it gets approved! Tim

Tooly
Aspiring developer
Omaha, NE
04/10/13 11:17 AM (11 years ago)
Quick question for everyone. I'm definitely going to go with updating the Homescreen menu look with one of the plugins. But these are Apple only plugins and I have the Android version of my app already published on Google Play. My question is if I make changes on the control panel will this affect what is already published on the Google Play store. I.e. do I need to make a separate app for Apple. Also I haven't upgraded yet and am still on self-hosting v2.1.7.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
04/12/13 04:31 PM (11 years ago)
Sorry if I'm a little late to this, but I thought I should probably contribute. Sheri is right! Use the plugins available. The carousel would be a good feature to use on your menu. Just to add a little flare. After watching your video, I thought it was missing something, and I think it is the god use of graphics. I think the content of your app is brilliant, but the menus need improving. As Sheri says, use the Carousel or the Circle Menu. I would say the carousel is too complicated to use on every screen, but at least the main menu, it would give a brilliant first impression for the end user. I know this is kind of a repeat of Sheri's post, but I'm showing my support for a few of Sheri's ideas, and that might help you decide what to do. Good luck!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.