Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 6    Views: 302

fusionsch
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 28, 2010
Montreux Switze...
02/18/16 02:52 AM (8 years ago)

Plugin idea: Advanced JSON Snippet Keeper

Hi there! An incredibly useful plugin is Stobe's JSON Snippet Keeper. The only downside is that the snippets are embedded in the app's config file. The more you use this plugin (and the larger the snippets are), the more the app is slow to refresh. A plugin that would read snippets from an embedded text file (or from a URL) would be really awesome! Any plugin developer interested? Cheers Jack

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
02/18/16 04:11 AM (8 years ago)
I am interested, send me a private message through forums here.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/18/16 04:46 AM (8 years ago)
Can you not use a 'dataURL' or childItem file from within the snippet keeper...? Cheers! -- Smug

krompa
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 14, 2013
Bristol
02/18/16 05:21 AM (8 years ago)
Jack A while back Smug helped me to make use of a locally stored (embedded within the app) quiz question file for the Interactive quiz plugin in Android. I put together a HOW TO for others. Its the same principal as Smug is describing above, just in a different context. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4warok4o5z4vddb/Android%20-%20HOW%20TO%20use%20a%20locally%20stored%20Interactive%20Quiz%20question%20file.pdf?dl=0 In the example, I have made use of the dataURL field, but you can use any unused field in reality. The 'copyAssetToCache' should help to speed things up.

fusionsch
I hate code!
Montreux Switze...
02/18/16 10:18 AM (8 years ago)
Hi everybody, Thank you all for the quick replies! @Dusko: I'll send you a PM in a few minutes! @Smug: unfortunately not! The Snippet Keeper is a very special plugin... I'm not even sure it should be named 'plugin', but it's one of the most useful 'tricks' available in the plugin market! @Krompa: excellent how-to! Unfortunately only for Android ;-) and BTW I'm searching (if possible) for a global solution, not a plugin-by-plugin tweaking solution! Cheers Jack

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
02/29/16 09:12 PM (8 years ago)
Smug is right - you should be able to make use of a dataURL property from the parent screen (e.g., a menu screen). The dataURL could point to a local file or to a URL, assuming the plugin of that parent screen supports both. Most menu plugins do though.

fusionsch
I hate code!
Montreux Switze...
03/04/16 04:29 AM (8 years ago)
Hey Chris, nice to see you around! I hope you're doing well! Sure, Smug is right, he gave me a 'replacement snippet' that seems ok (no error)... but it didn't work (I tried it with your Menu Image Advanced)... and I'm not enough into code to find out why... (The most awesome trick would be to be able to use the JSON Snippet Keeper with an embedded file, as it would do the job with all plugins!) Tweaking your Menu Image Advanced to support a local file is not a top-level priority for me, but if you have some time left, you're welcome! Cheers Jack

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.