Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 5    Views: 368

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
11/11/16 04:14 AM (7 years ago)

Self Hosted Migration - 'Error saving?'

I am in the process of migrating my Self Hosted over to a VPS and I have hit a problem. The domain name is the same, the database name is the same; the host is on a different IP address. So I updated & validated the Buzztouch key details with the new server IP address. On the new server I see all my apps, I can download an existing or new project OK, but every time I try to publish changes from the control panel on my new setup I get "Error saving?". If I try to look at the JSON Data for an app from the CP I see a spinner with 'Loading' but no actually data loads. And worst of all, my published apps have stopped working, so I need to get past this. Anyone seen this? Any suggestions?

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
11/14/16 10:40 PM (7 years ago)
File and folder rights set to 755?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
11/15/16 03:12 AM (7 years ago)
All the folder permissions are OK, they are identical to my working (old) host, but it was worth re-checking. What I did before is to clone my existing setup, put it onto a new VPS. The VPS database is the same name, same password, everything. Folder structure is completely mimiced. I then changed the DNS, which broke all my published apps. What I have done now is create a new domain on my VPS, clone my old server, put the files on the VPS as before, but this time I set my buzztouch control panel to the new IP address for the VPS and the domain name, so the URL is different. But, my VPS has the same error as before. My old host is now broken (as expected), because the self hosting setup on my buzztouch.com control panel no longer points to it. I get the Error Saving? problem on my old host now but at least all my published apps are still working. which makes me think the API Key is part of the problem.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
11/15/16 07:54 AM (7 years ago)
Making progress Changed my approach and did a complete clean install on the VPS. I've given the new install a temporary domain name and pointed my API keys to it. From that point I have been gradually customising the setup (baby steps). I created a new empty database and tested - that worked. I then copied all my plugins and FTP'd them to the right place. Then I created a test app. Then I published changes. I have JSON & all looks good. The saving error has gone, so I took the plunge and I've restored my old database and all my apps are still there (thankfully). I'll do the DNS next and keep my fingers crossed. I don't know why the clone approach failed but I'm guessing that doing a clean install picked up on some hosting differences.

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
11/16/16 04:09 PM (7 years ago)
Nice one! Was checking in on this thread with fingers crossed for you. The only issue I ever had was the 755 one above, killed me for days! Keep it going.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
11/23/16 02:49 AM (7 years ago)
The DNS changes went well. Having good backups before starting and the ability to roll back definately proved it's worth. The thing that caused pressure was that my apps all stopped working when they couldn't check for a config update on a faulty host. It's the same effect as when the Buzztouch.com SSL certificate ran out. Probably worth looking into seeing if there is a way around this, so that existing apps can continue to work when there is a host problem.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.