Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 9    Views: 461

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 27, 2011
Copenhagen
04/20/12 05:55 PM (12 years ago)

Multiple locations plotted on a map

Hi, I need to plot several locations on a map. I have the locations stored in a database (Filemaker) including Lat. and Lon. data. I can export it in several ways however not to Json, but XML. Does anyone know of a tutorial addressing this? I have used Version 1.5 and single locations show up just fine entered manually, but as I have about 70 locations, I would need to have it loaded from a file. Kind regards, Kristian Nielsen, Copenhagen Denmark

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
04/20/12 06:01 PM (12 years ago)
I can probably help you out. Are you using a Mac? If so, send me a PM and I'll show you how I did it.

Fred@mySkylla com
Android Fan
Reg: Oct 03, 2011
location unknow...
04/20/12 08:39 PM (12 years ago)
If you're not using a Mac there are a few additional resources in my Buzztouch & Google Maps guide. www.MySkylla.com Go to the Index in the guide. Fred

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
04/20/12 10:19 PM (12 years ago)
Another idea: Have a look at the sample data for locations in the v1.5 documentation. Assuming you're using BT v2.0. a) make a copy of that file. b) Upload it to your file manager. c) "Point" to that file with using the Data URL property of the map screen. d) Test to make sure it works as expected. e) Add additional locations to the file as needed from your real data.

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Copenhagen
04/21/12 12:14 AM (12 years ago)
Hi, Thanks all - I'll look into your suggestions.. @Stroke - I'll get in touch and @ David, I'll try your suggestion. However, is there a solution to automatically add the additional locations to the sample file? kind regards, Kristian

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
04/21/12 12:36 AM (12 years ago)
If Filemaker won't let you control the output format of a manual query, you could try this... a) Export the list of data in .CSV format (comma separated values) b) After exporting, open the file in a spreadsheet program. c) Modify the column header names in the CSV data to math the JSON names you'll need in the data for the map screen. Example: If your column header is Name, change it to Title. If your column header is Address, set it to subTitle. Do this for each column, it'll make sense in the next step. d) Visit this website: http://www.cparker15.com/code/utilities/csv-to-json/ and try to convert he CSV to JSON. The values in each column header (the column names) should be come JSON key/value pairs in the data. I have not tried this ( I write queries manually and control the output ) but it could work.

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Copenhagen
04/21/12 03:11 AM (12 years ago)
Thanks, David! I'll give it a try - I do think it could work :) Kind regards from Copenhagen Kristian

0z2000tv
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 10, 2011
Nashville
04/21/12 08:12 AM (12 years ago)
Hello Kristian If this is a one off project you may want to consider http://batchgeo.com/ for a free web based solution? Export your database to CVS or Excel, Copy and Paste to above website, it will create the geocode data in a format google maps supports and they will send you the link to an interactive map that will run inside your app. Mike

Kristian_N
Code is Art
Copenhagen
04/23/12 02:29 AM (12 years ago)
Hi, I tried the Batchgeo solution and it worked just nice! So thanks a lot for your suggestion, 0z2000tv. I had to fiddle a bit with my geo-locations - here in Denmark we use , as a comma and that confused the Batchgeo putting all my Danish locations off the coast of Somalia :) However, I found out how to do it and it worked wonders. @ David and Stobe, I'll still try to get the maps into the native buzztouch Map plugin as it shows a bit nicer in the finished app. Thanks for all input! Kind regards, Kristian

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
04/25/12 04:12 PM (12 years ago)
I just posted about a simple tool I created in the Maps forum. You can read about the tool at this link also: http://idevdepot.com/?p=121 -Stobe

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.