Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 6    Views: 376

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
04/04/16 07:20 PM (8 years ago)

Apple TV Apps anyone?

Hey there, has anyone had success in distributing a Apple TV app on the app store? Would love to have a look and support you. Secondly is there anyone interested in doing some dev work for me with regards to TV apps? I might have a customer or two that is interested in getting some work done. Cheers Kristen

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
04/05/16 07:07 AM (8 years ago)
Hi Kristen, I am interested in developing for the tvOS platform. Please feel free to email me at support 'at' jakechasanapps.com if you would like to discuss the details of the project. Thanks, Jake

Fingers Crossed
Veteran developer
Reg: Jan 16, 2012
Simcoe, ON
04/05/16 08:03 AM (8 years ago)
I haven't yet, but looking at doing so using Corona SDK to do the development. Not so easy for client updates but quite easy for code updates. I know tvOS is restrictive on size and storage, but I do know Corona SDK has ways to address both. Thought I'd mention it in case its an avenue you want to assess.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
04/05/16 10:22 AM (8 years ago)
I coded a few tvOS apps a while back just after Apple were giving them out to developers. It wasn't too tricky, I whacked up three apps over a weekend. I never published them as they were quite basic, but it really wasn't too tricky if you knew your swift. I guess integrating tvOS with Buzztouch would be quite a handful though. However, I really don't think there's much scope in TV apps after all, despite Apple's marketing slogans. The Apple TV is way too expensive for the consumer to adopt it on a mass-scale, and the features are too limited. The remote, although I would say it's a work of genius, is still too finicky to use efficiently and easily. It's not natural. Tasks that should be easy are made difficult by it's lack of functionality. Don't get me wrong, I think the Apple TV is a marvellous piece of kit, but I have my reservations. I use it for Netflix, Flickr and BBC iPlayer... and that's it! The old Apple TV already did those same tasks.

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
04/06/16 01:00 AM (8 years ago)
Thanks for that feedback, so no one has done a proper TV app yet... With regards to whether or not there is much scope... I am not saying develop an app just for the TV or watch for that fact, what I am talking about is extending existing projects or adding additional functions to new projects. The use case is not the question, the fact is that when sell an app solution to a customer i have the ability of adding on other revenue generating options like TV and Watch, to either increase revenue or get them across the line, or both.... If the bulk of the development is done for the iOS solution we could add quite a bit more revenue for a relatively low amount of additional development. Like you said Thomas, you did three apps over a weekend, although they never published them for various reasons, the point that I am making is that with little effort more revenue can be generated from clients. I am not hanging my hat on TV apps, but in some cases like a training app we are busy with that is loaded with instructional videos, the user can view in front of their big screen, it makes lots of sense. Remember don't worry about how many people are going to download it, I am talking about making apps for customers that pay for the project, you only have to convince them that it is worthwhile, not the whole market... Cheers

daku7
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 30, 2011
Toronto
04/06/16 02:27 PM (8 years ago)
Hi, I have create Apple TV App. It's live in the App Store. I am currently working on creating another Apple TV App for a customer. Kaybee, PM me if you want me to do some dev work.

miku
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 20, 2014
zagorje ob savi
04/10/16 03:00 AM (8 years ago)
I reskinned and published 2 apps for Apple TV, made in Swift. They work fine and I can say that it would be fine to use BT for AppleTV apps.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.