Discussion Forums  >  Suggestions, Ideas, Wish List

Replies: 2    Views: 316

RogerK
Android Fan
Reg: Nov 27, 2015
mbuma
11/27/15 03:45 AM (8 years ago)

Alternative to Google Drive

I am planning to evaluate SharePoint as an alternative file storing and sharing option. Has anyone had any experience with SharePoint for this kind of requirement?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/27/15 04:54 AM (8 years ago)
Sharepoint is typically at it's best in an enterprise environment, not for a small business or single user. That said, this is sort of a Mobile App development forum focusing on Apple and Android mobile devices, neither of which lend themselves comfortably with any sharepoint connectivity outside of a browser. Depending on your space requirements, I've found both my web host (hostgator) and dropbox to be sufficient for my needs. But if your question has nothing to do with mobile development (and for the moment, it doesn't look that way) you'll probably get a more satisfactory answer from a forum that specializes in file storage and sharing. If so, then I'm afraid this isn't the droid you're looking for. Cheers! -- Smug

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
11/28/15 05:39 PM (8 years ago)
I've been using the new Amazon Cloud Drive unlimited plan and absolutely love it. It's $59 a year, and I've uploaded everything I have digitally, including my entire media library of movies and TV shows (not all of which are "licensed" copies shall we say), for a total of over 9TB, and I've had no issues whatsoever. No limits, no throttling, no warnings about my licensed content, nothing but good to say about them, and the only service that lets you store that much for so little money. They also have a developer API available, which I have not yet explored. The only 2 small things that some people might find an issue with them (not me), is they don't have a desktop sync app (I personally like to manually upload my stuff and not automatically sync, so no issue with me, but there are 3rd party programs that will sync Amazon Cloud Drive if you really need to), and the second is the upload rates are extremely slow. It takes me about 4-6 hours to upload 10GB. But download speed from your stored files is very fast. If you can live with those 2 very small issues, Amazon Cloud Drive is the way to go.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.