Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 4    Views: 135

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Johannesburg, S...
02/28/17 07:58 AM (7 years ago)

RD Simple RSS Plugin

I am trying to use this plugin but do not understand how to use it. Would like someone to write easy to follow instructions. Do not understand concept of XML elements. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
02/28/17 10:37 AM (7 years ago)
An RSS feed is a way of delivering data in a structured way (xml). Content is tagged, the tag labels can vary from feed to feed. The RSS plugin allows you to tweak the tag labels to match the name of the feed you are using, under the entry RSS Feed in the control panel. The RSS feed is the URL of the feed you are interested in. If you open it in firefox and look at the source (raw xml data), you will see the tags of that feed. The control panel entry element fields need to match your feed. The entry for Item XML element is typically "item" (without the quotes). <item> represents a wrapper for a separate story. The entry for Title XML element is typically "title" (without the quotes). <title>: Hey, the title! This is most likely going to be the same title as your homepage. The entry for Link XML element is typically "link" (without the quotes).. <link>: The permantent URL of an item, e.g the URL for the webpage that corresponds to the RSS feed story. The entry for Description XML element is typically "description" (without the quotes). <description>: A synopsis or excerpt of the item. The entry for Image XML element varies a lot. It is often "enclosure" (without the quotes). Hope that helps, Alan

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
03/01/17 06:58 PM (7 years ago)
Hey Tyrone. Alan's description is spot on. I am on island until Monday, but happy to help when I get home if you still have troubles.

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Johannesburg, S...
03/02/17 01:35 AM (7 years ago)
Thanks it is a great help. Can I create an RSS feed for news site if it is not on the site?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
03/02/17 04:35 AM (7 years ago)
Hi @Tyroner, I suggest you start by finding a news site such as http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml?edition=uk , get that working in your app and then decide if you need different content what is available that suits your purpose. Creating and hosting a news feed is a whole different ball game.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.