bioninja
Lost but trying
Reg: Jul 08, 2012
Melbourne
03/18/18 04:34 AM (6 years ago)

Videos don't play in custom URL when beta testing

Hi. I have created a provisioning profile and put the iOS app on my iPad. It is all working except for ONE problem! I have some videos attached to custom URLs. When using the simulator these videos can be accessed and played without a problem. But on the iPad, the videos cannot be played within the app. I can access the URL, the video is there with a big triangle to press to play, but it can't be pressed and the video won't play! Do I have to enable some developer setting on the iPad? I checked my provisioning profile, is there a capability I have to switch on? I am really confused by this as it works fine on the simulator and the video will play on the iPad if I access it through an internet browser. It just doesn't work within the app (which is why I think it may have something to do with my provisioning profile?). It seems to be the ONLY problem with my final app. Can someone please suggest something, because if I can get this one feature to work I am officially done with the iOS version! To give you an example, here is one of the videos: bioninja.com.au/appsongs/meiosis.html On the iPad, the image loads, but the triangle can't be clicked. It is like a static picture. On the simulator, it works fine. It also works on the iPad when I access the URL via a web browser. P.S. Sorry for all the questions over the last few days (it's been a steep learning experience)

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 03, 2010
Medford, MA
03/18/18 08:24 AM (6 years ago)
No idea. Can your iPad load that video okay from the web browser? Have you considered adding the video files into app itself so they're local? Then no need to access the internet. Just at thought...

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
03/18/18 10:59 AM (6 years ago)
Hey Mutzy - Can you remind me how you would add that local? Just an HTML page, with the video embedded within? Do you have any code you may have on file to share as an example? Thanks!!

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Medford, MA
03/18/18 12:11 PM (6 years ago)
Just put this in the body section of your html file: ----------------------------- <video width="800" poster="carry1.jpg" controls=""> <source src="carry1.mp4" type="video/mp4"> <source src="carry1.ogg" type="video/ogg"> Your browser does not support HTML5 video. </source></source></video> ------------------------------ carry1.mp4 is the name of my video. carry1.jpg is a photo that loads first, otherwise just blank until you hit play.

bioninja
Lost but trying
Melbourne
03/18/18 01:20 PM (6 years ago)
My iPad CAN load the video fine from a web browser. Which is why I assume it has something to do with the provisioning profile. I don't want to put the video files into the app as it would make the app too big. Please, if anyone can help I will name my first born child after them or build them a false idol and revere them as a god!

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Medford, MA
03/18/18 01:37 PM (6 years ago)
I don't see why the provisioning profile would have anything to do with it. I made a quick custom url screen in an app I'm building with your link and it works on my iPhone, although it takes a very long time to for the video to load.

bioninja
Lost but trying
Melbourne
03/18/18 01:54 PM (6 years ago)
Update: I have loaded the app onto several iPhones and the videos work. I have also found a second iPad to load the app onto and the videos work. So it seems to be a device issue but I can't be sure (don't have a large enough sample size). I have tried deleting and restoring the app on the iPad, but the problem seems to persist. Can anyone suggest a setting or feature on the iPad that may be causing the issue? If it's a device specific issue, it probably isn't a huge deal, but I'd love to be able to figure it out.

bioninja
Lost but trying
Melbourne
03/19/18 01:15 AM (6 years ago)
Final Update: Have had the opportunity to put it on more devices and the videos seem to work. So it seems to be a device specific issue and therefore not really worth worrying about. Thanks for the help. I wish there was a way to mark these discussion queries as 'resolved' and shunt them down the list of topics so they don't take attention and space away from the unresolved queries.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.