aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 22, 2011
location unknow...
03/05/17 08:02 AM (7 years ago)

Best Version of Xcode you are using now

Hiya - It's been a while since I've compiled, archived & submitted to iTunes. What's the best version of Xcode that you are using now? On my machine I have versions: 6.2 and 7.2.1 I was able to find the latest version 8.3 in beta.. https://developer.apple.com/download/ out of the options above, what would you recommend I use? what is the minimum iOS version you are building for? Thanks!

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
03/05/17 12:30 PM (7 years ago)
I'm always an advocate of using the latest version of software, besides which older versions will likely not be compatible to archive and submit to iTunes Connect anymore. However, I wouldn't use beta versions, again because likely you won't be able to archive and submit as it usually showcases features only available in future version of iOS. Go with the latest public release of Xcode, which (as of 5 March 2017) is 8.2.1. You can easily find it on the Apple Developer download page or the Mac App Store.

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
03/05/17 01:31 PM (7 years ago)
Thank you Thomas. I have just (attempted) to download that; looks like I have to say goodby to el Capitan OS as well and update to the new Mac OS, which is compatible with 8.2.1. When you build your apps, what is the minimum iOS version you are building them for these days?

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
03/05/17 05:45 PM (7 years ago)
It depends on what you can test on a real device. Currently 80% of devices run iOS 10, and only 16% run iOS 9 (https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/), so unless you are specifically targeting an audience that you know cannot upgrade to the latest iOS, iOS 9 is as low as I would go. That being said: if you cannot test your app on a physical iOS 9 device, I would not recommend deploying to that operating system as you are not able to fully debug your program. Although the iOS Simulator is good for basic tests, it is very limited regarding accessing Apple's App Services (like Push Notifications and In App Purchase) and Device Features (like Messages from the Activity View Controller). What test devices do you use? (Type/Version/Operating System e.g. iPhone 7 iOS 10.2.1)

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
03/05/17 05:53 PM (7 years ago)
Hi Jake - Great to hear from you. I'm amazed that 80% of the iPhone owners have updated to iOS 10. Pretty dramatic figures, eh? Good to know re: iOS (as the lowest system). Here's the latest. Today I updated to Xcode 8.2.1 Along with the usual headaches of importing code signing pieces, so far so good. I believe I will have to update my iPhone to the latest operating system to align these two correctly as well. I'm running 9.2.1 on the actual phone.. I just clicked, update to 10.2.1 for testing.. and away we go. that's the latest - the core bt.com apps seem to be running; tested the self hosted today - but a large amount of the plugins no longer work. No big deal, I'm sure Kirsten has something good on the horizon for us all in the near future. (but I do miss some of those really cool plugins...

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
03/05/17 07:36 PM (7 years ago)
I have updated all of my plugins with compatibility for both iOS 10 and BT 4. The BT team has closed the plugin market, so I do not foresee much continued development of existing plugins–a few core members have continued to provide maintenance of highly used plugins, and many plugins have been pulled from the market that no longer function. Which plugins specifically are you having trouble with?

aquila198
buzztouch Evangelist
location unknow...
03/09/17 05:10 PM (7 years ago)
For right now, I was hoping to put together something really simple: - kitty's' carousel I tried s few other fun ones that haven't been updated since 2013. That carousel is awesome - put that with another screen or two- boom. Get you all up compiled and profiled.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.