Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 13    Views: 1891

twotonesimone
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 01, 2012
Wadhurst
09/16/12 02:58 PM (11 years ago)

GeoPoint cannot be resolved to type error

Hi app was working fine and i exported a signed apk with a release key and debug set as false. It worked fine except that the maps tiles wont show up. i then tried to work thorugh getting the debug key md5 certificate but couldnt get the code right to find it. Anyway, whenever I go into app in eclipse now I get the above error plus map activity cannot be resolved to tyope and mapview cannot be resolved to type and overlayitem cannot be resolved to type any suggestion what I canged and how I can fix it?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
09/16/12 07:29 PM (11 years ago)
Hi @twotonesimone, This sounds to me like you don't have the Google API selected for your project. Just highlight the project in Eclipse, right-click, select Properties, then Android, and select Google API 8. That should take care of those errors! Mark

ZeesApps
Veteran developer
Reg: Sep 28, 2012
Tarxien, Malta
10/15/12 01:30 PM (11 years ago)
Thank the stars... this was driving me nuts.... why is it so hard to do this for Android? It is so so easy in Xcode... Sure... quality is expensive... but it saves your life!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
10/15/12 02:18 PM (11 years ago)
Apple has it's share of stuff that drives me nuts, but overall, the development experience is much better for sure! I guess you get what you pay for! Mark

ZeesApps
Veteran developer
Reg: Sep 28, 2012
Tarxien, Malta
10/15/12 10:57 PM (11 years ago)
And the problem was just to get it to compile... now I have to look around how to manage to get my apk to install. Connected via USb, via download, everything fails. :-( I have a feeling it is the signing that is getting me.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
10/15/12 11:01 PM (11 years ago)
Hi @ZeesApps, Have you read this guide yet? It goes step-by-step through the whole process: https://www.buzztouch.com/files/howtos/buzztouch_For_Android-A_Users_Guide.pdf Give it a read, and if you still have problems, let me know. We'll get them worked out! In short, you either need to sign the app with a debug or release key to install it. Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 24, 2011
great neck
01/26/13 09:54 PM (11 years ago)
Mark, Haven't been around for a while and am now trying my hand at Android. Read your users guide and watched your video. For my first try, I too am getting the errors mentioned above about multiple things not being resolved (geopoint, mapview, overlay,overlayitem and mapactivity. Have tried to do as you say - with package explorer open and go up to file -- properties but don't get to anything that says Android. Just a box that says resource on top with read, write and execute choices for owner, group and other and some other stuff. Nothing that says Android. I'm on a Mac. I have the latest version of Eclipse, just downloaded today. Any ideas? Thanks. Steve

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
01/26/13 10:07 PM (11 years ago)
Actually, I figured it out -- I have to click on project in the top menus and then properties gives me the Android choice. I did that and the errors go away - but now the simulator runs but my app is not on it. All is see is a screen with a lock icon on the lower left and an audio icon on the lower right. I have never used an android device. Any idea how to get my app to show up and run? Thanks. Steve

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/26/13 11:07 PM (11 years ago)
Hey Steve, You're just sitting at the lock screen for the Android OS. Grab the lock with your mouse pointer, slide it to the right, and it should open to your app, or at least to the main Android screen. A little poking around from there, and you should be able to find your app! Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
01/27/13 07:12 AM (11 years ago)
Actually, I figured it out -- I have to click on project in the top menus and then properties gives me the Android choice. I did that and the errors go away - but now the simulator runs but my app is not on it. All is see is a screen with a lock icon on the lower left and an audio icon on the lower right. I have never used an android device. Any idea how to get my app to show up and run? Thanks. Steve

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
01/27/13 07:20 AM (11 years ago)
Mark, thanks for getting back. A few things. I tried to just for starters take an old app that I've made and which is on the Apple app store and compile it for Android in BT to see what happens. It runs but looks bad so I guess I'm going to have to start at the beginning. But on this app on the Android simulator, a few things don't work: 1) when I press the Home screen I made in the upper right of the nav bar I get a message that "something is not right - no screen is connected to this." It worked just fine in IOS. 2) There is no longer a left nav bar button which I used for my Back button - it just shows the name of the screen which in the IOS version should be centered. 3) None of my images is showing up in the simulator - just placeholders. All my screens are HTML files with links to the photos and the photos were put in the BT_Images folder, as always. 4) I also noticed that if I'm going to write a new app for Android, I have to use BT ver 2. And in this version I don't see a way of putting in a left nav bar button. When you get the chance, answers to these would be appreciated. Thanks. Steve

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
01/27/13 06:21 PM (11 years ago)
Hi Steve, Android is a seriously different beast than iOS. I think if you're going to do apps for both, you should have separate projects for both. It's just easier that way. The left nav bar button is generally a hardware or software button on the Android device/interface. If your images aren't showing up, they're probably not in the res > drawable folder, and probably aren't named with the a_z0_9 naming convention. That means no spaces, dashes, capitals or special characters. All apps from this point are v2.0, which is a good thing! Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
01/27/13 06:44 PM (11 years ago)
Mark, Yea, I've started from scratch with the Android. But as I've said in a new post elswhere, it's not refreshing on my simulator. I make a change, the simulator says all the right things "app content has changed- would you like to refresh?" I say yes, it does its thing and then I go back to the app and nothing has changed. I've tried F5, cleaning, restarting the simulator - no dice. Any suggestions. BTW your videos are great. Steve

drsreehari
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 19, 2011
Kurnool
10/20/13 09:06 PM (10 years ago)
thank u guys for great support

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.