Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 3    Views: 564

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
08/27/17 07:18 AM (6 years ago)

Future of Self Hosted?

Hello, Just wondering, now that there is a decent foundation again in BT4 +, what will the future be for the current Self Hosted BTers? Before I start rebuilding my apps with the newest version of BT and BT plugins, I'd like to know if I can do it on my self hosted panel without future penalties such as higher monthly rates than BT server customers. Right now I'm playing around building a test app on the BT servers and I'm noticing response lags every now and then which reminds me of the past when BT servers went down because of either equipment problems, congestion or certificate problems causing app to not work. I like the fact that if my app goes down now, it's my problem and I'm not depending or waiting on someone else to fix it. Currently, my apps need to connect to a server to update a few hundred HTML pages (which are updated themselves regularly) and this happens pretty quickly on my self hosted server. Will this slow down if I'm forced to go back to the BT server? The app would have to update through the BT server then go my server to update the HTML pages. Thanks Dave

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/27/17 04:22 PM (6 years ago)
I wish I could say. Kristen has hinted that Self Hosted would go away eventually. But I'm not certain if that is still the plan or if things have changed. Time will tell, but I have no valid opinion or information to offer. Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
08/31/17 04:11 AM (6 years ago)
I use self hosted for a couple of reasons. I run my handful of released apps on self hosted and it's where I do all my testing of new apps without affecting released ones. I also test buzztouch features when I can. Back in the day, we were encouraged to do go self hosted, it benefited buzztouch then as it reduced load on the central servers. Now I understand it is being postioned for Enterprise Users. I am not sure of the definition of an Enterprise User but I don't think I fall into that category. I would be sad if I was unable to keep using self hosted. And without an app copying routine to copy my apps in their entirety to buzztouch hosted it will cause problems. And I won't be able to have many test apps with the current limits. Cheers, Alan

Calypso Kid
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 09, 2012
Upstate New Yor...
08/31/17 04:28 AM (6 years ago)
Yeah, that's one of the main reasons that I switched to self hosted. To help reduce server costs to Buzztouch at the time.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.