Discussion Forums  >  Uncategorized

Replies: 12    Views: 263

stevek
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 24, 2011
great neck
02/15/12 08:26 PM (12 years ago)

re-downloaded source file yet got old version. Had to refresh.

Decided to start fresh. Deleted app from iphone, re-downloaded code, yet when app ran on iphone, got an old version. Had to press reload button to get latest. How can this be? Steve

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/15/12 09:28 PM (12 years ago)
Hi Steve, Did you delete the old version of the app on your phone before you loaded the new one? I believe, but am not 100% certain, that there is probably some cached data that would produce the effect you are talking about. If you are basically starting from scratch, you should delete the old version from your device/simulator before installing the new one. Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
02/15/12 09:33 PM (12 years ago)
Mark, I deleted the app from the phone but not from the simulator or the ipad. Do I have to delete all of these too just to reload on the phone.?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/15/12 09:36 PM (12 years ago)
Well, if the problem occurred on actual phone, and you deleted the old app first, then that does seem to be a problem. If you are installing to phone, then you don't need to delete from the simulator. I'm assuming the Xcode project name was the same, but you just swapped the old files for the new. Did you do a Product...Clean before you built it on the phone? If not, it may have retained some files or links or something from the previous version. Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
02/15/12 09:58 PM (12 years ago)
Mark, You were right, of course, cleaning did it. Ah that mysterious cleaning -- still a mystery to me but I guess I should do it every now and then just to play safe. While I have you, a few things: 1) I just can't seem to get emails anymore when you or anyone else answers my questions. I've tried to put in my email again and again and buzztouch never sends me a confirmation e-mail. Do you have any idea as to why? 2) Could you look at my question a few lines down about the the different behaviors from going to movie m4v files from a menu and from a html link. I've included the code from the debugger. Thanks, Steve

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/15/12 10:22 PM (12 years ago)
Hi Steve, Glad it worked! Cleaning is a bit of a mystery to me as well, but as I understand it, doing that process breaks any links made in the code from a previous build, removed dependencies, etc. So, doing a clean is essentially saying 'start from scratch.' I pretty much run a clean before any build, just to make sure. With respect to the email issue, there was another person in the last couple of days having the same problem, and they ended up finding all the email from buzztouch in their spam folder. You should look around there, or at least add buzztouch.com to your list of contacts or approved senders. I did take a look at the m4v thread from earlier, and don't have an immediate answer. I'll try and do some research. Thanks! Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
02/15/12 10:27 PM (12 years ago)
Mark, Ok thanks for looking. I don't have spam filters on my iMail so that's not the answer unfortunately. Steve

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/15/12 10:30 PM (12 years ago)
I'll ping the guys at BT and see if they can check into the email issue. Mark

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
02/15/12 10:37 PM (12 years ago)
Thanks again Steve

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
02/15/12 11:17 PM (12 years ago)
Mark, I should mention that it seems the problem with the m4v files seems to only occur on the iphone, not the ipad. Very strange. Steve

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
02/15/12 11:26 PM (12 years ago)
That it strange! Are they both running the same iOS level? I've found a few threads online that suggest this may have something to do with iOS levels. Mark

wendymadeit
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 12, 2011
location unknow...
02/16/12 05:00 AM (12 years ago)
I have this same problem. iOS bt1.5 1. I delete the old version off the device & the simulators. 2. in XCode - Clean, then Build 3. in Xcode - run on the device / sim 4. old version (the first version, actually) appears 5. a refresh, or even a couple of refreshes is required to bring up the current version. Even more weird - when putting the app on a completely new device for testing, the old version comes up... so I can't see how it could be a caching issue on the device. Some things I've tried - 1. Deleting all copies of app, & file folders & Xcode projects, then re-downloading the source code... didn't make any discernible difference 2. Turned off devices & quit simulators after deleting & prior to loading fresh version... again, no change I'm very concerned that this behaviour might occur when the app is finally distributed, for 2 reasons - of course it's a bad look, but more importantly, the app I'm building is for an electoral commission, so the content / text needs to be accurate & reliable, as there are legislative implications for misinformation. Any assistance / reassurance will be greatly received! Thanks in advance! ;]

stevek
Aspiring developer
great neck
02/16/12 07:47 AM (12 years ago)
Mark, I did find one vido file which doesn't work as it should on the ipad too so I guess it appears in all devices. Also in the simulators. Again, just from links in htm files, not from direct calls from a BZ menu. Steve

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.