Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 6    Views: 188

Moestress
Android Fan
Reg: Feb 12, 2012
Lynwood
02/23/14 02:16 PM (10 years ago)

Map Remote File Help

Hello all you deliciously smart app makers. I have another NEWB question. I want to create a remote file for the Location Map plugin but not sure exactly what to do. I do realize I need to pull from my url and also need to have that url connected to the Map Plugin. I have over 5,000 locations in an excel sheet. In order for the plugin to pull the json data from the excel, do I need to label the excel sheet exactly as the output of the json? Example "itemId":"11F25D4F6120F19E7F4B220", <--- Where to get Item ID? "itemType":"BT_mapLocation", <--- Add Item type to all listings? "latitude":"36.5977439", <---okay "longitude":"-121.8949035",<---okay "title":"Location 3",<---okay "subTitle":"823 Alvarado St Monterey CA 93940" <---okay My excel already has address, long, lat, phone number, website etc for the card. I want users to be able to search nearest location and get driving directions. I actually compiled a map in google fusion tables, but its not functioning properly on my app. Secondly I want to have a list of locations as well ( list view) is that possible in t his plugin?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
02/23/14 02:42 PM (10 years ago)
With respect to an external child items file: 1) do it manually for about 3 items; get an idea of how child Items should look. Then remove the 3 items so they don't confuse the system… 2) I created a 'childItem' creator script. If you're not self hosted, change the 'php' suffix to 'html' and it will work locally: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115208762/sjcon.zip 3) You're going to 'love' my upcoming 'location menu' plugin… Item ID 'can' be whatever you want, as long as it is UNIQUE to any other element in your json. A suggestion would be the data base record number. Gotta have itemType. and it needs to be the right item type. you'll also probably need 'itemNickname' as well. Cheers! -- Smug

Moestress
Android Fan
Lynwood
02/23/14 02:51 PM (10 years ago)
<3 Thanks Smug will work on this and see if I can get it to work! :)

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
02/23/14 03:37 PM (10 years ago)
There is a bit about childItems in the BT v1.5 docs… a bit dated, but good information regardless… http://www.buzztouch.com/docs/v1.5/childItems.php Cheers! -- Smug

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
02/23/14 05:14 PM (10 years ago)
Hey Smug, I installed this and made the link in my CP... and it seems to load fine... it has the html landing page that you added crediting the github project... but no options to do anything. Is there some sort of process of adding the excel speadsheet? I'm not seeing any buttons or links or anything to actually convert a file. EDIT: Nevermind, the javascript wasn't loading for some reason. Working now :)

Moestress
Android Fan
Lynwood
02/25/14 02:30 PM (10 years ago)
With all this being said, is it then true that I have to create a database and pull from there? I have all of my locations nicely in a JSON format ( over 65,000) locations. YES! I did it! So now I am guessing I need to figure out this php thingy... YUCK~ But Ill do it if I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. Quickie question... I was able to easily create a map with pins etc in google fusion tables. Is there any way to connect this to the maps? or is it strictly from a php call? YES I AM CONFUSED AT THIS POINT!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
02/25/14 03:14 PM (10 years ago)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115208762/loadScreenObject.zip This file is kind of a 'loadScreenObject' kit that you can use to learn how to feed json data to your plugin via external file or database. It'll take some php, a little mysql, but not too much. Sorry; I have no idea about Google Fusion… Cheers! --Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.