Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 8    Views: 321

hamer
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 29, 2013
Arlington
10/02/16 03:32 PM (7 years ago)

Location Map & Android Studio - How does this work?

Are there any instructions on getting the Location Map plugin to work in Android Studio?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/02/16 04:42 PM (7 years ago)
Have you registered your app for a Google API key? You'll put that in your AndroidManifest.xml After that, it should be relatively simple; control panel stuff. What issues are you having? Cheers! -- Smug

hamer
Code is Art
Arlington
10/02/16 06:01 PM (7 years ago)
After adding the Google Api key the app closes when I click on any of the locations listed. Before I added the key to the AndroidManifest.xml, the screen would just be black when I clicked on a location. Do I need to add a GCM Project number? If so, where is that information located? I clicked on Google Cloud Messaging under the Mobile APIs group in the Developers Console but it took me to Firebase. I'm not sure how to proceed. ALSo my Google Maps Android API key is unrestricted because I cant figure out how to get the SHA-1 signing-certificate fingerprint. The keytool code didnt bring anything up for me. (C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71\bin>keytool -list -v -keystore release.keystore) Thanks for any help. AndroidManifest.xml file changes <!-- Google Maps v2 API Key --> <meta-data android:name="com.google.android.maps.v2.API_KEY" android:value="THIS IS WHERE I ADDED THE KEY I GENERATED AT https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials"/> <!-- Google Cloud Messaging Project Number --> <meta-data android:name="googleCloudMessagingProjectNumber" android:value="YOUR_GOOGLE_GCM_PROJECT_NUMBER_GOES_HERE"/>

hamer
Code is Art
Arlington
10/02/16 06:03 PM (7 years ago)
Deleting Duplicate Post

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
10/02/16 06:07 PM (7 years ago)
1) Don't refresh the page after you've made a comment; it duplicates the post. 2) Make sure most of this is done: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/android-api/start 3) Don't worry about locations yet; get the map working. It doesn't have to be a local map, just get it to where you can 'see a map' of any place. After that it'll get easier. Cheers! -- Smug

hamer
Code is Art
Arlington
10/02/16 06:09 PM (7 years ago)
Deleting Duplicate Post

hamer
Code is Art
Arlington
10/02/16 06:26 PM (7 years ago)
Do I need to do this step "Step 3. Create a Google Maps project" (File>New>Google>Google Maps Activity) or am I just focusing on BT_screen_map.java & bt_screen-map.xml.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
10/02/16 07:20 PM (7 years ago)
yeah, when they say 'Create a Google Maps Project', consider your BT project 'the Google Maps Project', using BT_Screen_Map as the target, and the API key should go in your AndroidManifest.xml Cheers! -- Smug

hamer
Code is Art
Arlington
10/03/16 03:34 PM (7 years ago)
Thanks for your help Smug. I ended up just using the Custom URL plugin instead. I'd spent a couple of days researching errors on google and the forums without success. After trying again last night, I decided to rework the app since it looked pretty bleek for me. I will have to try Location Map & Android Studio again some day.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.