Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 8    Views: 208

lady_di
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 06, 2013
Geelong, VIC
05/26/14 12:40 AM (9 years ago)

PDF files displaying in simulator but not on device for an already published App

Hi, I am having issues adding new pdf files to an App that is already published. I have added new menus with images and location maps which are all displaying on both the device and simulator. Unfortunately the new pdf files I have added to both Xcode and buzztouch are only displaying on the simulator and not the device. I have updated the BT_config, clean and build.The error displaying on the device while connected to the computer is 'Data for this screen has not been downloaded. Please check internet connection'. Strange as the internet is connected with no issues. Any ideas???

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/26/14 02:04 AM (9 years ago)
Hmm... if the app is already published, then you must be using a dataURL to deliver the content. Check the URL in a browser to make sure it's a valid URL Address... Which plugin are you using to display the PDF file? Let us know how it goes... Cheers! -- Smug

lady_di
Aspiring developer
Geelong, VIC
05/26/14 02:18 AM (9 years ago)
Hi smug I am using the PDF doc plugin and using file name in project in document location for both the app that is already published and for the new PDF doc to be loaded onto the new section on the existing app.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/26/14 03:10 AM (9 years ago)
well, if the document to be displayed was not compiled with the app, it won't be present in your bundle, and cannot be opened (it's just not there). any 'after' publish content will have to be via data URL, and the document will need to be on the web. When the user opens the document, it will initiate a download and will be cached... but they'll have to download it first. Cheers! -- Smug

lady_di
Aspiring developer
Geelong, VIC
05/26/14 03:18 AM (9 years ago)
Ok does that mean the user only has to download it once or every time they click on it? Is there any other way around it? Is it possible to re-publish the app so it is bundled as a PDF doc?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/26/14 03:42 AM (9 years ago)
There is always the option to republish with new documents in your bundle... But the beauty (or part of the beauty) of buzztouch is that if you 'add' new content online, the user needs only to select it once, and the document will be downloaded to the app cache, and held there (unless the user deletes the local cache, not done often, but is user specific). The down side is that if the the new content is substantial (such as a lot of new documents), the user will need to tap 'each' new piece of content while connected to the network to download and cache the content. If the user has a data plan that accomodates constant network access, then no problem. But if the user is intermittantly connected to the network, they will periodically experience "Data for this screen..." messages until their device is connected to wifi either via hotspot or cellular. Most 'online' apps only download the data 'needed' to do the specific task at hand... such as a list of menu items. The 'next' screen that the menu item would load will NOT be loaded until a tap on 'that menu choice' is initiated by the user. And that same concept applies for each 'new' menu choice provided... Until it's tapped, it's still 'in the cloud'. Hope this helps! Cheers! -- Smug

lady_di
Aspiring developer
Geelong, VIC
05/26/14 03:52 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you very much Smug. A lot of helpful information. For the purpose of my app I think I will need to republish given the amount of documents involved and how they are used. Is there a straight forward way to republish? And will the republish filter to the users that have already downloaded the app? Or will the republish mean it will be a separate app to the current one? Sorry for all the questions still very new to buzztouch

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
05/26/14 04:11 AM (9 years ago)
As long as you maintain the same bundleId and the same settings as your original app, it's merely an update; advance the version number to v1.1 or whatever it is, add new content, recompile, republish, and hope that the approval process is as smooth as the first. If it's an android app, you won't have many issues at all. Regardless of platform, existing users will be notified of an update, and new users will get the newer version. Cheers! -- Smug

lady_di
Aspiring developer
Geelong, VIC
05/26/14 04:21 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you so much!!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.