Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 9    Views: 71

jrod
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 23, 2014
carthage
01/23/14 07:41 PM (10 years ago)

hello!

Hey all, really excited about joining buzztouch. Seems to be everything I've been looking for. I've, for now, zero skill in code but a possible awesome idea for an app. A simple, low graphic, android, story book feel that gives random facts and occasionally advertises to theuser. So if anyone could help point the way to a simple slide, slide, slide plug in, I'd be grateful!

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/23/14 08:29 PM (10 years ago)
Hello @jrod! Welcome to Buzztouch! Sounds like an interesting idea for an app! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Take a look through the plugin listing...there's likely to be something there that can help. Mark

jrod
Android Fan
carthage
01/23/14 08:53 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks Mark, I'll check it out. Think I need to take a step back and check out basic android code, language, and more in depth work with it before I bother everyone with random questions.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
01/23/14 09:13 PM (10 years ago)
Welcome to Buzztouch! I'm sure you'll figure things out quickly! And if you have a question, come to the forums! Keep an eye on 'Dusko', he has published several Android 'books' in a variety of markets. He'll be a resource you don't want to disregard. Cheers! -- Smug

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
01/23/14 09:49 PM (10 years ago)
If you need help setting up your Eclipse environment, take a look at the How-To section of the site. I also have a YouTube channel that shows you step-by-step how to get things up and running! http://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest All questions are welcome. Keep them coming! Mark

jrod
Android Fan
carthage
01/23/14 10:20 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks all. Checking now

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
01/23/14 11:59 PM (10 years ago)
> before I bother everyone with random questions. Hi there and welcome to the forums and Buzztouch in general. Don't worry about "random questions" though, there's a lot of people who can help you out here. If I were now starting out with Buzztouch, I'd immediately try to build an app or two just to get the feel of things and then I'd buy the membership to get the self hosted version. From then on you are really in the game and the sky is the limit. >A simple, low graphic, android, story book feel that gives random facts You first have to sort out who is your target market. The more conventional term would be "demographics" for your app: -- which age group would be interested in your app? -- where are they on the Internet (forums, Facebook groups etc.) -- what hardware to they use (phones vs. tablets, Android vs. iOS etc.) -- would your app be informational, a quiz, a so-called killer app (one that you can use every day, etc.) Load Google Chrome browser, enter the incognito mode, and start searching through Google.com. Is there an app in the listings for your keyword? If not, that may be an opening for you; if yes, download that app and study it from all possible aspects: -- the description and keywords in it, -- the images and icons -- would you do them the same way for your app? -- what kind of menus do they have -- fun, morose, black...!? -- is their app "fun and joy" to use? -- think about one sentence so that when they have an intent of deleting your app, they can still say "oh well, let it stay a bit more on my machine, because ..." Also decide upon your strategy: one app developed to the extremes, or many apps and see what sticks? For one app you would have to become a code expert, which is not that difficult on Android. For many apps, you can use buzztouch tools to produce them in droves (that is what I did). Whatever the decision you reach, realize that creating an app is 1% of the total effort and the remaining 99% is about marketing -- telling people that your app exists, where to find it, how to download it and then how to use it, possibly every day. A long and winding road is ahead of you, but occasionally there will be beautiful vistas for you to explore and enjoy. Once again, welcome to the world apps in general and to this fantastic site, Buzztouch.com, in particular. I blogged about this here: http://duskosavic.com/blog/marketing/if-i-were-now-starting-out-creating-apps-with-buzztouch/

jrod
Android Fan
carthage
01/24/14 12:08 AM (10 years ago)
The market side is an area that I feel more comfortable in. The creating a slidemto the next page, phone, randomized, education type app part is my new uncomfortable area. But I will be learning into that soon. Thanks for the outline dusko and thanks for the response to a new user!

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
01/28/14 12:22 PM (10 years ago)
Dusko a great resource to follow welcome jrod

Mr_Atlantis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 30, 2014
Milford
01/30/14 06:49 PM (10 years ago)
Absolutely, that was insightful Dusko. Welcome aboard jrod.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.