Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 10    Views: 348

theMonster
Code is Art
Reg: Oct 18, 2011
US
06/20/15 09:31 AM (8 years ago)

Hello again, it's been too long...

Hello everyone! Niraj asked me about how everything turned out for me and thought I'd post my reply here: Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I decided to try to do both, however the amount of work that needed to be done at the company vs my school were inhibiting each other. So for about 2014 Spring - 2015 Spring I decided to put a hold on school. Which worked out pretty well, in that I was paid pretty poorly but I was putting in enough hours everything worked out okay. During Spring 2015, I got into a personal falling out with another co-worker. At this time I had entertained a job offer from Blizzard Entertainment. However I had biffed the on-site interview because I completely geeked out. I was also being interviewed for a position at Apple and one locally. I decided to leave this startup for another one as to alleviate our falling out. This local company literally doubled my pay and allowed me to stay at home, so, I decided to turn Apple down unfortunately and stop continuing the interview process. This new company turned out to be a horrible fit for me unfortunately. They did banking / cc processing software and it was incredibly tiresome work. So I eventually quit because my boss didn't know how to keep himself calm under pressure and that was pretty much the last straw for me. After that I was absolutely determined to find a job that met all of my requirements. Pays well, incredible work, lots of opportunity and preferably a company that is on the Nasdaq. After about 1 month of searching on my own, I started talking to big names like Apple and Google. Unfortunately, they really just didn't have a position there for me. So I submitted my profile to a site called hired.com (only 10% of applicants make it, I was one of them). And I started getting offers that way. A few companies felt like really good fits but I was getting turned down as well as turning down a lot of other companies. Nothing just seemed like this perfect job I wanted. After 2 months of searching, I my cell phone rang at ~4:00 PM. It was a Canadian number. I don't know anyone from Canada however, at the very least I figured I'd be able to hear a cool Canadian voice. I picked it up and a man said: Man: "Hello is this Caleb?" Me: "Yes..." Man: "Hey Caleb! This is Richard King with Disney"-- So at this point 2 things are going through my head. First of all, Richard King is probably one of the fakest names ever. Why is Disney calling me? Man: "Are you still interested in our Sr iOS Software Engineer role?" Me: "Um, yah. This would be in California right?" Man: "Oh no, this is in Utah" Ok... So let me get this straight, fake name, Canadian, AND supposedly Disney has a studio in Utah. OK. Man: "Well awesome! I'll send over some paperwork as well as an email to assure you this is legit." Me: "Oh yes please haha." Low and behold, I got an email from an @disney.com. So I interviewed with a higher up on the phone the next day (Tuesday). And interviewed onsite (Wednesday) got the job a few hours after that. To this day I'm the fastest Disney hire. I guess the moral of the story is don't just settle, you never know when a random Canadian is going to offer you everything you wanted in a job and more :). So don't just settle for less. Here's my linked with exact dates if anyone is interested: <a href="https://www.linkedin.com/in/cjonassaint" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://www.linkedin.com/in/cjonassaint</a>

nadthevlad
Code is Art
Reg: Jun 07, 2012
Denver
06/20/15 09:44 AM (8 years ago)
That is awesome. Disney has a huge mobile app portfolio. You gotta let us (me) know if you end up working on any Star Wars apps.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
06/20/15 09:57 AM (8 years ago)
Man that's soon tight!congratulations!you've given me even more drive,thanks

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/20/15 10:26 AM (8 years ago)
Sweet mama! :-) Try to finish school in the evenings. Society still values a college degree. Later in life, that degree will be the thing that pushes you past another person. For example, several friends were held back at big companies (Disney is big!). Another friend was elevated only after getting the degree through night school. What a story and journey you have had in such a short time! We knew you were ultra-talented. Glad to see the rest of the world agrees with us! :-) Please come back now and then to energize us with another adventure. Keep on trucking :-) -- Niraj

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
06/20/15 10:28 AM (8 years ago)
@Chris -- do you need a new keyboard? That spacebar seems to be having a problem. What's your address ... :-)

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/20/15 08:33 PM (8 years ago)
Monster, I'm happy you're doing well, and I'm happy you're doing well at what you want :) If they have any other 6 figure jobs, you let me know ;) Cheers! -- Smug

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
Lisbon
06/22/15 08:49 AM (8 years ago)
Thats awesome. The best of luck! Cheers

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
06/22/15 03:15 PM (8 years ago)
Great perseverance! Nice to hear good things about you. Good luck with it all :)

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
06/23/15 10:18 AM (8 years ago)
Ha yea that was me typing from my phone

Arubaman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Akron
06/23/15 11:36 AM (8 years ago)
Congrats, always like to see people do well and get what they want.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
06/25/15 07:13 AM (8 years ago)
Hey friend! Happy to see you again! LA

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.