Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 23    Views: 346

techd
I hate code!
Reg: Sep 17, 2012
Cleveland
08/25/14 11:49 AM (9 years ago)

iOS installed app updates but new install shows old data.

My app is up on iTunes. When I add another custom url link on a current working menu simple in my iOS app an iOS device that has my app installed will prompt that there are updates, do I want to load them. If I click yes the new link shows in the menu properly. I clicked publish in BT control panel and it turns green. If I delete the app and reinstall on the same device I see the old menu simple without the new custom url link. I tried installing on another device and it also shows the old menu. How do I get this to update. Everything works as it should on the Android side. Thanks for any suggestions!

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Reg: Oct 01, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
08/25/14 02:03 PM (9 years ago)
When you upload the app, does it have the most up to date BT_Config.txt?

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/25/14 02:38 PM (9 years ago)
Haven't changed the BT_Config.txt or done anything on the xCode side. Just opened the simple menu screen on the BT control panel and added the custom url link. I then clicked the publish link at top left and then the Publish button that then turned green. I checked the app installed on my phone and clicked yes accept the updates and it shows the new custom url. It is only when I download the app from iTunes I see the old screen with no custom url.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/25/14 02:52 PM (9 years ago)
That is because the app was packaged with an old Config file. For an install without a required refresh, do [self refreshAppData]; or re package with a new Config file.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/25/14 02:52 PM (9 years ago)
Duplicate post

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/25/14 08:06 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks Ed, I didn't think I had to package and upload through xcode to add something like a link on a menu page. I thought I could make the change and click publish without going back through xcode. It is not important to me if the user has to click to accept the updates or if it is updated automatically, as long as it updates. Right now it isn't updating on iOS side. It sounds like the self refreshAppData only makes it automatic but might not fix the problem of installing the app fresh and getting old data even though the data in the BT control panel is showing correctly. Is that correct? Thanks!

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
08/25/14 09:25 PM (9 years ago)
Remember that the iTunes App Store version of the App has your old BT_Config.txt file, the one without the custom URL link in it. When the User first launches the app, the old config file is automatically copied into a cache. Then the User will either: - Be asked if it's okay to refresh the app or - Tap on the Refresh circle arrow on the Home Screen of the app or - The app will auto-refresh on its own Then the new BT_Config file is downloaded and copied into the cache. The App should then refresh itself with that newly cached configuration. I expect the new Custom URL link to be displayed. The second time the App is run, it should also show that new Custom URL link. Post the link to your app please. We shall be your testers! -- Niraj

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/26/14 12:00 AM (9 years ago)
Thanks Niraj, I understand that now. Are small menu screen screens part of / stored in the app when it is uploaded through xcode? Not stored on the BT server? So when I add a new custom url to the screen the only way to change it is to upload a new package through xcode. Do I have to resubmit to Apple? I thought changes were saved on the server so I didn;t have to resubmit. The app is TransTec Transmission-by-Vehicle https://itunes.apple.com/app/transtec-transmission-by-vehicle/id548638200 Under the Contact tab on the right we added a new register custom url that points to the web site. Existing installations get a notification that there are updates then they see the link. New downloads don't see the link or get a notice to update. All changes we made so far show up when we update the app on the BT control panel and click publish. No reuploading or resubmitting through xcode to Apple required. Thanks!

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/26/14 12:15 AM (9 years ago)
Basically, when you change something in the BT Control Panel, it changes the JSON data, which is the BT_Config.txt file located in the BT_Config folder in Xcode. This file is what we use to tell our app how to lay things out and the behaviour of objects. When you update the app in BT but not iTunes, the app will keep using the old BT_Config.txt until the user agrees to update, whereas if you download a fresh package, not just re-package your old ZIP, the new settings will be there by default, first use. When I opened the app, it loaded, crashed and then had the URL on the page. The first tab menu did not appear first launch, bug found? Or is that [self refreshAppData]; doing something wrong? Ed

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/26/14 06:31 AM (9 years ago)
Haven't changed the BT_Config.txt or done anything on the xCode side. Just opened the simple menu screen on the BT control panel and added the custom url link. I then clicked the publish link at top left and then the Publish button that then turned green. I checked the app installed on my phone and clicked yes accept the updates and it shows the new custom url. It is only when I download the app from iTunes I see the old screen with no custom url.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/26/14 10:58 AM (9 years ago)
When you change anything in the Control Panel, the BT_Config.txt gets updated automatically. If you want an app with all the new features and no required update, you must download a new BT_Config.txt for the Xcodeproj.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
08/26/14 08:13 PM (9 years ago)
I just now downloaded the app from the App Store. This is what my iPad shows with your app: http://postimg.org/image/vunr6068p/

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/27/14 03:57 AM (9 years ago)
Yes Niraj that is showing the old data, it should have Register as the first link. Were you prompted to accept a newer version? I was told that when you download the app it should immediately check for updates from BT and if found ask the user if they want to accept. The app is not doing this because the BT server does have a newer version. Is this a bug?

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/27/14 04:06 AM (9 years ago)
Ed, I don't have a problem with the user having to update after downloading (manually or automatically). They are not getting that choice app is not checking with the server or the server is not telling the app there is an update so the user is only getting the option to view the old data from the original package sent to Apple.The only time the user gets the update prompt is if I make a change on the server after they have already installed the app. New users are always looking at the original data until I make a change on the server. They are immediately asked if they want to accept the change. Any Ideas?

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/27/14 04:42 AM (9 years ago)
When you press publish, are you changing the number?

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/27/14 04:57 AM (9 years ago)
I did try without changing the ver. number and with changing the number and it didn't make any difference. I looked and I think the version I submitted is in design mode so the changes should be immediate and publish should not make any difference. Next change I make that I submit to Apple I will change to Live mode and add the automatic updating. I didn't understand the design vs. live mode when I originally submitted.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/27/14 05:13 AM (9 years ago)
When you change the number and publish, you must update the package you send to Apple as they are now 2 different variants of the app. If it was 1.0 when you released and it is now 1.1, you have to resubmit the package to apple.

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/27/14 05:19 AM (9 years ago)
If you have it set to Live mode and you make a change on the BT control panel you then change the number and click Publish. After that you have to resubmit the package to Apple? I misunderstood. I thought when you make a change on BT you didn't have to resubmit and wait for approval. That is what drew me to BT.

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/27/14 05:21 AM (9 years ago)
You do, only if in live mode and you change the number. You don't if you have it in live or design mode and don't change the number. I never change the number.

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/27/14 05:26 AM (9 years ago)
I never changed the number but I thought I would try it to see if it would make any difference. Can I change it back to the original number that I had when I created the package and make the change again and save and that will fix the problem?

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/27/14 05:30 AM (9 years ago)
Should do, yes

Ed Goodall
Fusion Technology
Wiltshire, UK
08/27/14 05:50 AM (9 years ago)
It worked!

techd
I hate code!
Cleveland
08/27/14 06:39 AM (9 years ago)
I tried making a change and setting it back to the original number but it doesn't ask the new download if they want to accept the changes. It does still ask a previous installed user if they want to update.

Stefan
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Dec 21, 2010
Sweden
02/06/15 12:28 PM (9 years ago)
Bummer! I have this error for one of my old apps. Thanks for clearing what I need to do in order to fix this.' BR/Stefan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.