Discussion Forums  >  Capturing Images, Uploading Data

Replies: 4    Views: 317

JimmySaver
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
location unknow...
11/05/12 07:42 AM (11 years ago)

User Form Input With Image Upload to Server

Hello all, I'll outline what I'm trying to do and see if anyone had any wondrous ideas (my workaround brain cells are now exhausted). I'm quoting for a client who wants what seems to be a simple application. Definitely iOS, preferably Android too. I want a series of screens that allow the app to capture information and send it back to a server / database. One thing that must be captured is an image (in fact, several) which should be taken in-app and sent back to the database along with information entered into other screens. It's basically a quotation app. So the user on screen one will enter all of their details (contact email, phone address etc) then they'll be taken to screen two which will prompt them to take a photo suing their camera. Once taken, the user has the option to accept or reject this photo for submission. On pressing next, they are required to take a second photo with the same accept / reject functionality. Then, on pressing completion (or equivalent) they're taken back to the home screen whilst the data from screen one and images are sent (packaged) to 'our' database. Common sense dictates a simple HTML5 series of screens. However, you can't, as far as I'm aware, access the camera function from HTML5 in app. Another workaround would be to use the camera email plugin but this requires an email screen to be launched (and the user to submit twice). This is an ugly work around and won't do (in essence, their should be just one submission process button after all data has been entered and images selected). I hope this all makes sense. I know it's possible. I just need to work out how. Cheers.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
11/08/12 07:22 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @JimmySaver, It makes total sense. I'm not sure on the workaround but I will def. research it for you and I agree on the one submission. I have never used the camera email plugin. LA

JimmySaver
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 09, 2012
location unknow...
11/16/12 02:57 AM (11 years ago)
Hi LA, Thanks for the input. Do let me know if you get anywhere. You're popping up a lot in my current searches surrounding databases. I'm just about to post another question regarding user databases and the login plugin (I want it to work with an external database rather than creating one within Buzztouch). Regards the above original post though, I have had some thoughts... Apparently, iOS6 allows for file uploads from HTML, so maybe a JotForm plugin would work to solve the issue? The user could then fill in the 'quotation' form and upload an image from their camera roll. The only issue with this is that it still requires the user to take the image first before accessing the app. A problem / inconvenience in my opinion. I'll not let this one go and will post when I've found a solution!

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
11/16/12 08:41 AM (11 years ago)
Hi @JimmySaver, I'm not sure about Jotform but keep me posted. LA

AppTap
I hate code!
Reg: Jan 14, 2013
Dublin
01/28/13 05:17 PM (11 years ago)
Any word on this issue getting resolved? I am looking for something similar and have spent two days on ti already! No joy!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.