Discussion Forums  >  Capturing Images, Uploading Data

Replies: 7    Views: 1006

I hate code!
Reg: Mar 10, 2012
location unknow...
03/11/12 09:51 PM (12 years ago)

Launching camera on app

Hi, I am new to this. I wish to launch a camera when my app is opened, take the pictures, and perhaps do some formatting to the photos taken before sharing them through facebook or email. Can you guide me through what are the steps needed, thank you!

javooooo
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Sydney, Austral...
03/11/12 10:28 PM (12 years ago)
Hmm... I don't think BuzzTouch has the in-built functionality to format the pictures :S However, I'm interested to see if anyone knows if its possible- it certainly could be, but I haven't heard/seen it.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/11/12 10:47 PM (12 years ago)
Hi, Welcome to buzztouch! Well, the taking a picture and sending it off via email part exists, for sure! But no native capability to edit or format the picture at all. You would have to add that via custom code or write a new plugin or something. Thanks, Mark

Zackamo
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 25, 2011
Bryan TX
03/12/12 07:25 AM (12 years ago)
You can try building this in: http://www.aviary.com/ However unless you have some decent coding background and are very familiar with Buzztouch structure, its not easy task. I spent the better part of night working on it on android only to fail miserably. Made implementing push notifications like a walk in the park.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
03/28/12 11:52 AM (12 years ago)
^^ i'm still playing with AVIARY in iOS. I'm thru 3 of 5 steps and my APP is still compiling. Was all set to dig in more and then the person i'm working on this APP for asked me about Instagram. They are big fans of it. I found that Instagram works with the URL Schemes in iOS. So if you do the 3rd party App screen in your app and use this: instagram://camera That will launch Instagram if they have it loaded on their device and you can take pictures and edit them in the Instagram APP. it would be nice if there was a URL Scheme for the native iphone camera but i can't find one. But I still want to get AVIARY working so they stay inside the app. I'm getting close to having some specific questions on the Aviary integration. I'm trying to find the spots in the BT code where i can invoke it. I'm looking closely at these 2 files- (it's like learnign a new foreign language. I think i can ask where the bathroom is and what time it is - but it's gonna be a bit before i'm ordering dinner....) BT_photo BT_viewController

ShatterBelt
Aspiring developer
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Midway
05/07/12 09:18 AM (11 years ago)
Is there a way that you could take pictures and have them directly uploaded to your apps gallery? Or would this require me to write my own code.

DaleB
Lost but trying
Reg: Jun 12, 2012
Minneapolis
06/12/12 07:56 PM (11 years ago)
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Tonight is my first night here and I'm hoping to create an app for a client that is a nonprofit involved in energy efficiency. The basic function of the app will be to allow people (other nonprofits) to use the app to take a picture of their energy efficiency projects and email them to us. Maybe include a short description of the image. From what Im reading hear, calling up the camera and emailing the image is a basic function that is available? Thanks in advance.

ATRAIN53
Code is Art
Reg: Nov 17, 2011
Chicago
06/13/12 06:46 AM (11 years ago)
welcome. just spent some time dealing with electrical aggregation for my community. bills cut in half! a few ways to go with this. The basic functionality to do this are both avail in BT 1.4/BT 1.5 but the 2.0 Self Hosted lacks an Image Uploader. So unless you are building your own code - I would think the Bt 1.5 Image gallery and use Flickr as the back end storage. The Flickr gallery allows for better descriptions and not just APP users can then access and upload/moderate, etc, the gallery. lots of great threads on Flickr here, search around. This thread got me steered in the right direction. got fox? really seemed to know Flickr and was a big help -> http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=12AC6263FC09A9E177D6D32 this site might give you a good idea of how you would do this manually outside of BT as well. i've been building something like this myself that i hope will incorporate Aviary to format/edit pictures.... (very early stages) http://mobiledevelopertips.com/camera/camera-application-to-take-pictures-and-save-images-to-photo-album.html

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.