bestof
I hate code!
Reg: Mar 16, 2016
soweto
03/16/16 10:55 PM (8 years ago)

My app doesn't run offline

guys m new, i created an app and compiled it using android studio but it doesnt run offline, how do i change this?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
03/16/16 11:39 PM (8 years ago)
Hello! Welcome to Buzztouch! Whether your app works offline or not depends on where your content is. For example, if you are making extensive use of the Custom URL plugin, you would need a network connection in order to access that content. However, if you were using the Custom HTML plugin, and you included your HTML files with the app itself, then that content should be available offline (because it exists within the app). When the app starts for the first time, it attempts to contact the BT servers to download the BT_Config.txt file, which contains all the configuration information for the app. If it's not able to make a network connection, it "should" access the config file that ships with the app. I say "should" because it seems problematic at times. Given this information, does that clear things up? Or, are you still expecting it to run offline? If that's the case, exactly what error messages are you getting? And, can you post some debug output from LogCat? Thanks! Mark

bestof
I hate code!
soweto
03/17/16 12:14 AM (8 years ago)
hello Mark i understand what you are saying but, the app is not meant to go online, its just simple menus

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/17/16 12:18 AM (8 years ago)
If you don't want it to go online at all, then, in your BT_Config.txt file, near the top, look for the "dataURL" line. Delete anything you see there. The line should then look like: "dataURL" : "" That prevents the app from going online to find the latest BT_Config.txt file, and uses the one that ships with the app instead. One caveat - if you do the above, then each time you make changes to the app, you'll have to submit an update to the appropriate app store. The beauty of the dataURL is that when you make a change in the control panel, it's immediately pushed down to the users. Consider this carefully before you take your app offline! Mark

bestof
I hate code!
soweto
03/17/16 12:29 AM (8 years ago)
thank u mark,thanks alot

bestof
I hate code!
soweto
03/17/16 02:08 AM (8 years ago)

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
03/17/16 11:04 AM (8 years ago)
Correct. At the top of the BT_Config.txt file, remove the URL that's specified for dataURL, but leave the quotes. If you remove the reportToCloudURL, it won't log how many times your app is opened, but that's totally cool as well. If you leave it, the user won't notice if there is no network connection. Thanks! Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.