Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 4    Views: 296

DougJoseph
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 30, 2016
Stonewood
02/01/16 02:39 PM (8 years ago)

Possible to update/add button images on devices without having to re-download Xcode project package?

I love that BT allows for updates to the app's functionality with the update delivered straight to the device, but this seems to not include adding new button images. Am I missing something? Is it possible to update/add button images on devices without having to re-download the Xcode project package and rebuild with Xcode?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/01/16 04:16 PM (8 years ago)
Hi Doug, Most plugins...at least the ones created by Buzztouch...allow you to either include the button image in the project when you compile it, or configure a URL for the button location. I'm assuming you're talking about the Button Menu plugin here, and it's no exception. From the plugin definition: "This plugin produces a grid, or strip of scrollable square buttons. Buttons images can be added to the Xcode or Android project or they can be downloaded from a URL." In the plugin, when you add a new button to the plugin in your Control Panel, then click on the button name. It will load up a screen called "Item Properties." From that screen, you can define "Image URL Small Device" and "Image URL Large Device." You can use the same URL for both, if you choose. Mark

DougJoseph
Aspiring developer
Stonewood
02/01/16 07:52 PM (8 years ago)
Ah, so it's doable, by just switching the bandwidth from BT's to my own. Cool! When I first approached the BT model, I was too green on it to understand why the other form input (URL) was there, but now that I understand the model, I see the benefits of exchanging "download delay" (giving up instant action of built in art) for the ability to update the menu without requiring another build.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
02/02/16 08:43 AM (8 years ago)
Hi Doug, Yep, that's one of the beautiful parts of Buzztouch! For content that changes a lot, of if you simply don't want to have to compile again, using the URL is a great option. But, if there is content that will remain basically static, I'd recommend including it with the app. That will decrease load time and improve customer experience. Mark

DougJoseph
Aspiring developer
Stonewood
02/02/16 11:03 AM (8 years ago)
True. That's good advice.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.