Discussion Forums  >  BT.com Website, Account Questions

Replies: 7    Views: 90

MrT
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 21, 2013
Dallas
04/08/13 09:16 PM (11 years ago)

Step one for creating URL-based content?

OK, so I did quite a bit of searching on this forum before finally posting what is likely an incredibly basic question. Here goes...in order to create dynamic content that can be updated on the fly after an app has been approved, I don't understand what is required to do this. Would I have to basically create a mobile-friendly website and create the content there to reference in the app? I'm not interested in having a website -- I just need to have URL-based content for the app. I've seen discussions in this forum about hosting services like HostGator. I guess what I don't understand is this: can you use a service like HostGator solely to create mobile web content for your app that is not part of a traditional website? I don't want a website and I'm assuming that many app creators aren't interested in that either.

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
04/08/13 09:22 PM (11 years ago)
I guess it depends on the content you're wanting to display and how you will display it. A lot can be done using Buzztouch plugins using the control panel, straight from Buzztouch.com. You wouldn't need a different website at all for that. If its a matter of wanting to use HTML to format content, you can use the custom HTML plugin to create the web page at Buzztouch.com, or upload a HTML doc to your files section and link to it using the custom URL plugin.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
04/08/13 09:46 PM (11 years ago)
You could do exactly what you're looking to do...get a free HostGator account, create some HTML documents that you store there, but which aren't freely visible to others, and then link them to your app. I have folders on my web server that just server up docs for my app. Or, you could use something like DropBox, grab the URL for the file, and use that. The only caveat is if you have tons of hits for that file, which could incur some bandwidth issues. The DropBox method is a good one...I used that for my first couple of apps. Mark

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
04/09/13 03:42 AM (11 years ago)
Mark - why not store them directly on Buzztouch and link to them? Is it a size thing?

MrT
Aspiring developer
Dallas
04/09/13 09:35 AM (11 years ago)
OK. Thanks for the feedback. I've been meaning to joing BT but haven't yet had a reason to pull the trigger -- this looks like a good incentive to do so.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
04/09/13 09:42 AM (11 years ago)
Hi Chris, Absolutely you could store them on buzztouch and link to them. To be honest, I keep forgetting about the File Manager because I never use it. I have hosting that I use, and DropBox as well. But buzztouch is for sure a valid alternative! Mark

MrT
Aspiring developer
Dallas
04/09/13 10:16 AM (11 years ago)
Just to be clear...if you're hosting html content on the file manager, it can be updated on fly after the app is approved?

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Oro Valley, AZ
04/09/13 10:21 AM (11 years ago)
You should be able to. Just update the file and then upload it again. I would assume the URL would be the same...but perhaps a test would be in order to make sure. Bottom line, though...if your app points to a custom URL, you can change the end file as much as you want, and it'll automatically update when the user requests that screen on the app. Mark

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.