yourtownapps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 08, 2012
Collingswood, N...
12/09/14 04:47 PM (9 years ago)

off-line access

I really like Buzztouch and enjoy coding and developing apps with it. Unfortunately, my only development time is on the hour each way on the train it takes me to get to my real job in Trenton. I have tried mifi setups but some don't work and some are prohibitively expensive due to the memory usage of coding (I was surprised). My (perhaps elementary) question...is there anyway to use Buzztouch while you are offline? Thanks.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/09/14 04:54 PM (9 years ago)
The only way you could really do it would be to set up your own Buzztouch server on your laptop. That way, everything is done locally. The limitation would be that you could not download your project package because that requires an API call to buzztouch.com. And, you would not be able to run an app on a device and have it connect to your server to get the config file unless you somehow have the two tied together. Other than that, everything else should be the same! You'd easily be able to run in an emulator, because at the very least, you could copy over the config file. Hope this helps! Mark

yourtownapps
Aspiring developer
Collingswood, N...
12/09/14 04:58 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks, Mark. You always come through, even if it isn't always the answer I want to hear.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
12/09/14 05:01 PM (9 years ago)
Cool! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...though what you want to do is certainly doable with some work! You just need a laptop capable of supporting Apache Server, mySQL, and PHP. Mark

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
12/09/14 11:08 PM (9 years ago)
Yes, you can do development on the train while offline. 1. Install the BuzzTouch Server on your laptop (Apache, MYSQL, PHP) 2. While online at your house, make an app using the laptop. That way the API call will be successful. Include all the plugins, free and purchased when building the app. That way you will have ultimate flexibility when offline. 3. If offline mode, turn your computer into WiFi sharing mode. Or use a MiFi in disconnected mode as a WiFi hub. In any case, the laptop and the mobile device must be on the same ad-hoc WiFi network. 4. Edit the BT_config.txt file to use the IP-address and URL of the laptop. That will allow the device to refresh from changes made to your Laptop's BuzzTouch Control Panel. Sounds awkward, sounds hard -- it is not. I have done the same many times on the plane! :-) -- Niraj

yourtownapps
Aspiring developer
Collingswood, N...
12/10/14 04:43 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks, Niraj, Mark. I will try it and let you know how it works. Douglas

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.