Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 12    Views: 318

Pipper
Lost but trying
Reg: Jul 10, 2015
Portsmouth
07/10/15 07:50 AM (8 years ago)

New guy here

I just signed up to the site and am excited to get started! I have no experience in building an app. How do I get started?

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
07/10/15 08:00 AM (8 years ago)
Welcome Pipper! The best place to start is BuzztouchU, which is here: https://www.buzztouch.com/account/btu.php It will give you the basics of how Buzztouch works. You've found the easiest way to make apps, and a great community to support you and help with any questions. Welcome to Buzztouch!

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/10/15 08:19 AM (8 years ago)
Hiya! Like Ninja said, start out with the BTU videos. A Bit dated, but still contain a lot of useful info. If you're into documentation, again, a bit old, but still very useful is the BT 1.5 Docs (we're into BT3 right now, but history repeats itself often). They're located here: http://www.buzztouch.com/docs/v1.5/ And of course, we have a fairly active forum. Don't be shy with a question; there's always someone willing to pitch in and help if you detail your issue out. There are also a few 'niche' tutorials in the 'How To' section: https://www.buzztouch.com/resources That cover a lot of subjects for both iOS and Android. Dig in, Enjoy, and if you have an issue, yell! Cheers! -- Smug

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
07/10/15 09:46 AM (8 years ago)
Welcome to Buzztouch! I also have a YouTube channel that might be of help: https://www.youtube.com/user/gonorthwest Personally, I think the best thing is to just dive in and start making an app! The BTU stuff is a bit dated, and goes more into the programming aspect of things. The forum is always here for you! Just shout out if you need anything! Mark

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
07/10/15 12:42 PM (8 years ago)
Welcome, welcome! Start with pen and paper to decide what you want in your app. This Blueprint technique helps me and my friends. http://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=47D35231F571EE9A1AB0660 Also, start with the Simple Menu plugin and the HTML and URL plugins. You can make magic with just those three! I -- Niraj

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
07/10/15 12:48 PM (8 years ago)
I actually like to lay my ideas out in a visual mockup wireframe first, like this: http://angryninjas.com/cloud/temp/Wireframe-VirtualFarmer.pdf It forces you to think of every possible screen that you'll need, by stepping through the entire app's flow. But you'll find whatever work flow works best for you.

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
07/11/15 04:18 AM (8 years ago)
Welcome @Pipper! I had no experience either when I started but I joined buzztouch and started learning. LA

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
07/14/15 06:17 AM (8 years ago)
@Angry Ninja, You should post a template of your visual mockup in a thread, which can be edited and blank which users can add text and screenshots! Very useful! Maybe it can be added to the resources here @bt or in how to section. LA

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
07/14/15 06:21 AM (8 years ago)
The problem is every app would be laid out differently, so a pre-made template would be pretty difficult. I just start from scratch every time I make a new wireframe. The only thing I reuse is the iphone frame. I use photoshop to mockup each screen, paste each screen into the iphone frame, then use OpenOffice's "Drawing" to move the screens around in the order I want them and connect the workflow using the lines and arrows from screen to screen.

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
07/14/15 06:24 AM (8 years ago)
Just put a few mockups together with arrows and they can fill in the rest..Make sense? LA

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Maine
07/14/15 06:28 AM (8 years ago)
Yep, but the arrows and layout are one program (OpenOffice "Drawing") and the iphone screens and frame are another program (Photoshop), so even if I uploaded a basic wireframe with a few placeholders for screens and arrows, nobody would be able to simply edit it to add their own stuff without using multiple programs and overwriting the sample placeholders that I would put i, the same as if they started from scratch. It would actually be easier to start with a blank screen and just replicate what I've done by looking at the example. The arrows, lines and image frames are all added with one click each in OpenOffice. It would take longer to edit the placeholders than just adding new. If someone wanted to though, the above example is a PDF that could be edited with Adobe Acrobat by anyone that would want to.

LA
Aspiring developer
Jerseyville, IL
07/14/15 06:35 AM (8 years ago)
Yeah and many don't have Photoshop. Just thought it be a great idea to help others. It would be great if another member can pick this up, with your permission, and create an editable pdf! I would even pay for this! LA

Pipper
Lost but trying
Reg: Jul 10, 2015
Portsmouth
08/19/15 12:04 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks guys! I went to BTU but all of the lesson 1, beginning vids are down. Any idea why?

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.