Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
07/21/17 11:10 AM (6 years ago)

Signing Android App new Google Play App Signing Process

Has anyone figured out the new Google Play App Signing process? I can download the .der file , but I don't know how to use it to sign my app. I'm getting an Invalid Keystore format when I try to sign with the file. I used to have a app signing tool on Eclipse that I don't have on Studio. Anyone have a suggestion for how to make this work?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
07/21/17 04:37 PM (6 years ago)
Perhaps this can help? https://coderwall.com/p/zrdsmq/signing-configs-with-gradle-android I haven't worked with android in a while, so I'm not sure. Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
07/26/17 09:53 AM (6 years ago)
I didn't know Google Play have changed the process! I just used my old keystore from the good old Eclipse days. When did that happen? Alan

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
07/26/17 07:20 PM (6 years ago)
Google apparently has a new option (that I elected, unfortunately) to store your keys for you. If you have ever gone through the trauma of losing an Android app key, this new process may be better. But I thought it would be easy to make the switch, and it hasn't been. I think the problem is that I had already signed my app with my own key, and that doesn't work any more (for me). But because it is already signed, the wizard that should show me how to sign isn't coming up to help me. I haven't had a chance to go through Smug's link yet, but it seems pretty complicated. I don't file that many apps with the Play Store, so it is also possible that this is such a brand new thing that the solutions aren't documented on Stack Overflow or the Buzztouch Forum yet.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/27/17 01:59 AM (6 years ago)
Aah, I see. I think from what you've said that the either the old way and new way are not directly compatible or that in the new way google has interprested your key differently and it thinks they don't match. I'm not expert in Android but I have a suggestion - you may have tried this but in case not, have you tried using your Android key in the old-fashioned way? If you are using Android Studio I find that still works and last time I updated an app, google compared the key in the new app to the key in the old app as it uploaded and it just worked.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
07/27/17 09:18 AM (6 years ago)
Here is a link to the new process: <a href="https://developer.android.com/studio/publish/app-signing.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">https://developer.android.com/studio/publish/app-signing.html</a> You can either sign apps the old way (now called the Manual way) or with the Google Play process--the new way. If you ever have lost the signing key for an Android app, you can see why this new process is better, at least theoretically.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
07/27/17 09:21 AM (6 years ago)

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
07/28/17 01:20 AM (6 years ago)
I can see if you lose a signing key it might help, but in your case it sound as if Google did the equivalent of losing it for you! Looks like the process edits the APK after upload. I'd be interested to know if there is anything specific that needs to be done or considered for a buzztouch app to support this or if it just works.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Hopkins, Minnes...
07/30/17 05:16 PM (6 years ago)
What I ended up doing was to create a new app in the Google Play Developer Console.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.