Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Palm Beach, Gol...
12/27/13 07:37 AM (10 years ago)

Need some advice/assistance with an app.

Hi, hope this is in the right section. I'm struggling, and at the moment failing, to make an app in xcode (not using buzztouch because I'm not sure if it would work). Just wondering if someone could explain to me how to do things and prod me along to figuring it out. I've been pointed to database tutorials, but I just can't grasp how to make it all work because how I want it is different to all the tutorials completely. Thanks, Jeremy

Michael Travis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 24, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
12/27/13 08:16 AM (10 years ago)
First off, before we can help we need to know what exactly you are trying to do. Just from your message above it appears you are trying to connect to a database for reading and writing information but I am not sure if that is what you want. Have you tried looking at Ray Wenderlich's tutorials? He covers a lot of different topics. Here is the link: http://www.raywenderlich.com/tutorials

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
12/27/13 08:25 AM (10 years ago)
i am trying to get my app to store and retrieve data from a database. Basically, I have a screen where the user fills in a bunch of fields. On pressing submit i want the data stored to the database, and the user taken back to the main page. The main page displays the data from the database, after doing a few calculations to work out what to display. Can i send you pictures of the app so far so you can sort of see what i mean? Thanks, Jeremy

Michael Travis
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jan 24, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
12/27/13 09:01 AM (10 years ago)
To be honest with you I am new at app development. I am not sure I would be much help with the database stuff. I am sure someone her will provide you assistance.

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
12/27/13 09:39 AM (10 years ago)
Ok, Thanks will wait and see :) Jeremy

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/27/13 04:10 PM (10 years ago)
Hey Jeremy, although not 'explicitly' made for what you're trying to do, I suspect a bit of the code will work for you, if edited a bit for your purposes. It's in a little zip file I keep to 'demonstrate' the loadScreenObject methods… https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/115208762/loadScreenObject.zip It has Database connections and things for retrieval, and could work as a rough template. Let me know if it works, or doesn't. We'll figure out the next step. Cheers! -- Smug Edit: One thing I notice, 90% of my issues with mySql and php is my syntax. an extra comma, a missing quote, something like that. Keep an eye on your syntax...

Jlentriken
Aspiring developer
Palm Beach, Gol...
12/28/13 12:05 PM (10 years ago)
Thanks smug, I will check it out and see how I go. I will PM you now as well Jeremy

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
12/28/13 09:20 PM (10 years ago)
Jeremy -- deposit your pictures onto a web server somewhere such as Dropbox or even your buzztouch app' files section. Give us those URLs to gain an understanding of your objective. Smug has given you a solution by which you will need to do server-side development for the database. That stuff is pure gold. Try it out to gain an understanding in how the server can send data to the app. I suspect you want to update data, not just read/download data. One step at a time :-) -- Niraj

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
12/28/13 09:35 PM (10 years ago)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.