kingelessar
Lost but trying
Reg: Mar 10, 2014
UK
10/15/14 07:42 AM (9 years ago)

best practice on updating content

Hello All, After some months away I’m back to update the content of my app. I will be adding an item to a menu, which will display a new html page. So in Buzztouch I will be adding a row to the menu and a new screen to load, the latter will point to a URL. Question: Will this work for existing users of the app? Will they be prompted to update the content and then see the new menu item? And will they see the new page or will this produce a missing plugin error? Even if I release an updated version of the app and package everything into a new bundle, the changes on Buzztouch will affect existing users. What’s the best practice to follow? Thanks

mrDavid
BTMods.com
Reg: May 21, 2011
San Diego, CA
10/15/14 08:12 AM (9 years ago)
It should only produce a plugin error if you don't have the plugin in your app when you submitted it to Apple/Google. You most likely have the HTML and the Custom URL plugin included so I don't think you will be having problems when updating. Go ahead and give it a go and see what happens. Best practice? There's never a best practice, it's whatever works best for you - buzztouch was built to let you make small changes and additions without having to go through Apple's lengthy update process, if you want to add new plugins and new things to the app that we're not compiled with it initially, you'll have to submit a new bundle/package again. Hope this helps! Cheers, David Van Beveren http://btmods.com/chat ^ Chat with other BT members live! http://btmods.com/hire ^ Hire MrDavid for one of his services!

rburns50
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 12, 2014
Bilston - Engla...
10/15/14 08:27 AM (9 years ago)
I do this regularly on a few Android apps published on Play. As I have the html / custom url plugins already present they just refresh and they get the new content.

kingelessar
Lost but trying
UK
10/15/14 12:52 PM (9 years ago)
That's reassuring, thanks guys.

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
10/15/14 07:22 PM (9 years ago)
@kingelesssar Good to see you posting again and updating your apps. Good to keep things fresh and to keep your head in the game! Stuff moves so quickly these days so it makes sense to be dipping in to the forum and seeing what's what. As I'm sure you know and understand from the quick and spot on answers above, running self hosted software and building unique native apps but being able to drop in hybrid app features in a quick and easy manner is really what seperate the software BT provides. Have you looked into playing with live mode and so on. A small extra step that will prove invaluable in no time. Test test and test again if you can. But remember, one of the core attractions of BT - in my opinion anyway - is doing what you are doing now with ease. Still the first and best. Jah bless that 'refresh' and the lovely config file. Watch clients gasp when you show them realtime changes on their phone that aren't affecting other users installs. Disco!

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
10/16/14 01:27 AM (9 years ago)
Is live mode working now MacApple? I tried it a long while ago after BT 3 came out and I found that stuff in my app was being updated in live mode when I made changes regardless of whether I pressed publish or not. Alan

kingelessar
Lost but trying
UK
10/16/14 01:22 PM (9 years ago)
Thanks MacApple for taking the time to reply. I can tell you, it didn't take long to forget an awful lot since launching in June and doing other things in the meantime. But I did make lots of notes at the time, which will help. AlanMac, as far as I know the design/live modes are indeed not working and changes are published whether you push the button or not.

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
10/16/14 01:25 PM (9 years ago)
I'll have to have a look at the live/design mode. I remember seeing a thread about it but thought all was well. Any road, welcome back!

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.