Discussion Forums  >  Introduce Yourself

Replies: 22    Views: 522

amysus
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 28, 2011
traveling the w...
05/28/16 06:55 AM (7 years ago)

Buzztouch still here?

Hi all, I first joined BT in 2011 and messed around (trying to make an audio player, never succeeded). I again have tried the same thing, unsuccessful, so am going to try something else (playing with the iPad Story Book plugin now, but it does not seem to be working). I see a lot of plugins and comments from a few years back, and very little new activity. Is there a reason for this? Have people gone elsewhere, perhaps to the online app builders? It feels like a bit of a ghost town. ?? Amy

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
05/28/16 07:40 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Amy. I don't think many have left BT. We are all in a holding pattern while the next iteration of Buzztouch is being built. I'm sure this forum will catch fire again when BT 4 is released. https://www.buzztouch.com/forum/thread.php?tid=97790F66DEA4A39FD5D3CB4

KozmoWeb
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 08, 2012
Sarasota, FL
05/28/16 07:51 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Amy, I rely on Buzztouch for the handful of apps that I've created. I use the Buzztouch hosted and not the self-hosted. It is still here and working for me. However... The biggest problem right now is the Buzztouch payment processing is broken due to a change at Authorize.NET. We are unable to purchase new plugins for about 3 weeks now. This is a disappointment to me as there is a plugin I'd like to buy for a new project I'm starting on. I literally want to give Buzztouch some money (granted it's just a little money) but I can not do it! There have also been some changes recently to a new subscription model that people are adjusting to that change. I'm 100% behind this change and it was needed for many reasons. I tend to have great patience with Buzztouch mostly because of the community here in the forum. It is quite frankly the BEST online community I've ever been a part of. The friendliness and support of Buzztouch users is amazing. Yes, some plugins are out of date, but most can be tweaked with help from Forum users to get them going. The proper solution would be to have these tweaks applied directly to the plugins to fix them, but since most of the plugins are community-built, so the original author has to do that. A significant weakness to the product at the moment. I'd say hang in there, ask questions and give it a little time. Historically things have gotten sorted out in a couple of weeks. That's what I'm doing. Best, William @KozmoWeb

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
05/28/16 07:53 AM (7 years ago)
>It feels like a bit of a ghost town. Exactly. I am a member here from 2011/12 and it has never happened that there are no forum posts for 4 or 5 days in row. Well, it has just happened in the last week or so. It really looks like a ghost town, as if there is nobody in there. I can assure you that there are thousand of folks using this software every day. I specialize in custom programming for Buzztouch framework, meaning I create plugins (both Android and iOS) for myself and for others. For the last two years I have worked for seven or eight individuals / agencies / companies that produce LOTS OF software using BT. Actually, I produce a lot of apps too, almost 60 in the last 8 months. So, for some people, Buzztouch is very much alive and well, and is making them money alright. These people do not frequent these forums any more. Nothing new to learn, nothing new to be excited about, many parts of BT software are not working any more and worst of all, there is a feeling that the founder of Buzttouch, David Book, has abandoned us. In fact, he has not -- if he had, Buzztouch servers would go down and we would all see that within a day. In the last six months he had two long posts about the changes that will be implemented to Buzztouch, but the only change we saw was that the price had gone up, from 2 to 5 times, depending on your previous arrangement. Unfortunately, the level of the service did not rise, actually, nothing has changed and the members, as of recently, have started to notice and protest loudly. A few examples might suffice. CMCOFFEE has implemented a proper way of sending push notifications for Android and has published that openly on the forums. Most hosting services are now forcing PHP 7.0 and the BT server software cannot work under it. When you install a new BT server, it still says version 2.1.9 instead of 3.0.0. One would think that these changes would find their way into the core of BT, but that is not happening. That is not to say that he is doing nothing for us. Occasionally, you will see a new couple of lines in Android Java source code, he has followed the changes needed after introduction of iOS 9 (the download problem) and so on. Frankly, why is David not implementing these little changes is beyond me. It is as if he is waiting for a grand change in the BT software to take place after which we shall all be stunned and grateful for ever. I would also like to have him write a blog for all the changes that he is doing to the software, but there isn't such a thing as a log of changes to BT framework... From time to time, various "core" members start lists of, say, broken plugins but you will not find one such link easily... Finally, as of 5-6 days ago, the BT payment processor went down and it seems it has not been fixed so far. That is incredible to me, to say the least.

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
05/28/16 08:51 AM (7 years ago)
Hi all - Thank you for the info. Interesting. I read David's post that Red Dog linked to, thank you, it's not very reassuring. I understand that for people already deep into it, it's still a good thing. But I am perturbed by David's response, and lack of follow up after his initial post. I understand he's very (VERY) busy. But if he is that busy that he cannot even follow up on a blog post, let alone update and maintain BT, then ... why not offer BT up to others to run and develop? People would be happy to develop it further and make a little money too. It doesn't have to be a huge money maker, but it should at least be able to pay people for their time. Perhaps David could try and get funding for this, even a non-profit type of funding. Perhaps a KickStarter.com campaign or the like. Red Dog, you also mentioned a BT 4.0 - is that just your label for some improvements slated, or is that really a thing, on the way? Again, from David's post, it does not seem like it will happen any time soon. As for the payment system being down, I actually discovered this problem for myself on May 11, over two weeks ago. Someone was kind enough to let me rejoin without paying at this time (I will owe some money when the system is up again). Dusko, do you do contract work? Can you advise? And if you can't, do you know other BT developers who can? Seems that some things are easy enough on BT, others are not - it would be nice to have someone who can advise and/or actually build portions of the project. Or perhaps for BT 4.0 have two levels of payment, basic (forum help only) and support (with a knowledgable, paid tech person helping when needed). I guess I will sit tight and do other things for a while in hopes of 4.0 or help from someone. This really could be a fantastic thing; it is already so great ... just needs to be set free so it can flourish. Finally, for BT 4.0, they need to fix spell check so that Buzztouch does not come up as incorrectly spelled. :-) Thank you Red Dog, William, Dusko ... Amy

Red Dog
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 16, 2011
Southern Califo...
05/28/16 09:01 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Amy. BT 4.0 is just my reference. Sorry. If BT is being rebuilt from the ground up to support Apple moving to Swift, it would make sense to be a full step version count .vs 3.2, 3.3, etc. So, no, nothing official about BT 4.0

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
05/28/16 09:03 AM (7 years ago)
:-)

Dusko
Veteran developer
Reg: Oct 13, 2012
Beograd
05/28/16 09:12 AM (7 years ago)
I wanted to send you an email here through forums, but it seems you did not enable that option. So yes, I do contract work and you can contact me through here: http://duskosavic.com/blog/contact-dusko-savic/ You can see the list of my services and prices here (I have just written it up a few minutes ago): http://duskosavic.com/blog/programming/list-of-my-services-and-prices/

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
05/28/16 11:22 AM (7 years ago)
Hi all - Thank you for the info. Interesting. I read David's post that Red Dog linked to, thank you, it's not very reassuring. I understand that for people already deep into it, it's still a good thing. But I am perturbed by David's response, and lack of follow up after his initial post. I understand he's very (VERY) busy. But if he is that busy that he cannot even follow up on a blog post, let alone update and maintain BT, then ... why not offer BT up to others to run and develop? People would be happy to develop it further and make a little money too. It doesn't have to be a huge money maker, but it should at least be able to pay people for their time. Perhaps David could try and get funding for this, even a non-profit type of funding. Perhaps a KickStarter.com campaign or the like. Red Dog, you also mentioned a BT 4.0 - is that just your label for some improvements slated, or is that really a thing, on the way? Again, from David's post, it does not seem like it will happen any time soon. As for the payment system being down, I actually discovered this problem for myself on May 11, over two weeks ago. Someone was kind enough to let me rejoin without paying at this time (I will owe some money when the system is up again). Dusko, do you do contract work? Can you advise? And if you can't, do you know other BT developers who can? Seems that some things are easy enough on BT, others are not - it would be nice to have someone who can advise and/or actually build portions of the project. Or perhaps for BT 4.0 have two levels of payment, basic (forum help only) and support (with a knowledgable, paid tech person helping when needed). I guess I will sit tight and do other things for a while in hopes of 4.0 or help from someone. This really could be a fantastic thing; it is already so great ... just needs to be set free so it can flourish. Finally, for BT 4.0, they need to fix spell check so that Buzztouch does not come up as incorrectly spelled. :-) Thank you Red Dog, William, Dusko ... Amy

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
05/29/16 12:03 AM (7 years ago)
I'm still here! And I'm whipping up some plans for updated instructional videos on Android Studio, and some new ones on Xcode. So, stay tuned...I hope to have those out this summer! Mark

David @ buzztouch
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jan 01, 2010
Monterey, CA
05/29/16 01:19 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Amy, Yeah, I'm still around. Contrary to some opinions, I'm alive, kicking, continuing to "do this" and continue to keep this alive. I'll save any explanations (read the negativity, it's all in there / here) for it isn't helpful, it only fuels the fire. Unfortunately I'm literally unable to say / post much these days. I realize it's difficult to understand (some clearly don't get it) but the fact is....I can "say or promise or try" to move things forward and regardless of where that progress is, it's not in the right place. Again, take a few hours reading, you'll see what I mean. I've made a few lengthy posts in the previous months in an attempt to address this exact issue. Didn't help. Made things worse. Worse as in only fueled more speculation, more opinions, more stress. Comments like "the only thing that changed is the price" is down-right ridiculous. I resist getting into arguments or defending myself / BT anymore because it's pointless and just leads to hours and hours of online discussion. I have better things to do than sit online 24 hrs a day DEFENDING the software / solution I've created. It's almost as if folks want me to do just that - sit around and "explain" things all day. Not possible. So, yes, BT still lives on, David still spends more than a full time job keeping it alive, and folks still rely on it. Which is why it exists still - because folks enjoy it, regardless of how "BAD" or "GHOS TOWN" or "ABANDONED" (fill in the adjective) it may feel. Keeping the rest to myself.

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
05/29/16 07:09 AM (7 years ago)
Hi David! So nice to hear from you. I meant no offense, I just suspected that something was amiss with BT when I first posted this message about it feeling like a ghost town and was trying to get a feel for what was going on. I am having a lot of difficulty creating what I want to create and if this route, BT, is not happening, I want to know so I can try something else. (Not that I really have another option ...) Buzztouch is really amazing; you should feel (I hope you do) good about the platform you have created. And the fee is very reasonable. I am grateful it exists. That said ... I don't know anything about your plans or business model or financials ... and I am not a business person. But, it seems that BT could use a major infusion of energy (time/money). This could make it that much better. And it seems like a lot for one man, especially if you have other commitments. So, why not try to get people to help? I am not sure what that would entail, but I suspect there are people who would love to contribute, for or not for money. Holding it too tightly in your control may be its demise, you know? Set it free ... (and I don't mean free/paid, I mean let it fly ...). There is nothing else like it out there. As for your blog posts not getting read or not helping - perhaps if there was a letter from David area on the main screen, then your posts would not be one post here, one there, hidden on different boards. People would love to read a message/ update from David. My background is instructional design - I wonder if there is something I could do to help you and BT? Wishing you and Buzztouch all the best, truly. Amy

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
05/29/16 09:39 AM (7 years ago)
Hi David! So nice to hear from you. I meant no offense, I just suspected that something was amiss with BT when I first posted this message about it feeling like a ghost town and was trying to get a feel for what was going on. I am having a lot of difficulty creating what I want to create and if this route, BT, is not happening, I want to know so I can try something else. (Not that I really have another option ...) Buzztouch is really amazing; you should feel (I hope you do) good about the platform you have created. And the fee is very reasonable. I am grateful it exists. That said ... I don't know anything about your plans or business model or financials ... and I am not a business person. But, it seems that BT could use a major infusion of energy (time/money). This could make it that much better. And it seems like a lot for one man, especially if you have other commitments. So, why not try to get people to help? I am not sure what that would entail, but I suspect there are people who would love to contribute, for or not for money. Holding it too tightly in your control may be its demise, you know? Set it free ... (and I don't mean free/paid, I mean let it fly ...). There is nothing else like it out there. As for your blog posts not getting read or not helping - perhaps if there was a letter from David area on the main screen, then your posts would not be one post here, one there, hidden on different boards. People would love to read a message/ update from David. My background is instructional design - I wonder if there is something I could do to help you and BT? Wishing you and Buzztouch all the best, truly. Amy

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
05/31/16 03:35 AM (7 years ago)
I haven't left BT. I don't think BT has left me. There are some things I'd like to see, or like to see faster, but my clients probably have the same thoughts about me, lol! The BT Forums are always the best place to seek help, advice, or anything BT related. David usually has his head under the hood. But the rest of us are usually willing and able to assist. It's how it has been, I hope it's how it will be. Cheers! -- Smug

LA
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 16, 2012
Jerseyville, IL
05/31/16 06:16 AM (7 years ago)
We still here! LA

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
06/01/16 01:00 AM (7 years ago)
Yup we still here and support David 100% It boggles my mind sometimes when I read some members comments, usually the same individual(s) about pricing, WTF !!! These people admit themselves that they are making a living on the back of Buzztouch, don't bite the hand that feeds you... I feel embarrassed that David even has to take time out of his day to read never mind reply to these messages. Take some time and read the history of David's posts and you will get an understanding of the background relative to David and Buzztouch and its purpose. It is still very much an almost free service and not a business. Bottom line is that Buzztouch is David's he can do with it what he likes and take as much time as he needs, He owes us nothing, if you so unhappy I challenge you to find a better solution other than having someone do all the development for you, then we can talk about pricing. No doubt things are going to change, lets give David time to figure out what is best for him and BT, trust me if this senseless bashing of BT and time pressure continues I wouldn't be surprised if one day he does switch off the servers and say good night. Then we see how your website goes that uses keywords like "buzztouch" to get business.... With regards to people helping him, again if you had more background ie read some of his posts or attended webinars where he spent hours and hours helping people, you would know that it is not just that simple case of getting someone in to help him for a number of reasons, including who is going to pay for that, besides he will spend more time explaining to any normal person how to do it than it would actually take for him to do it.

FunkyMonkey
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 07, 2013
blackpool
06/01/16 03:17 AM (7 years ago)
My experience with Buzztouch, I Have always been amazed at how the community here helps you out and digs deep for code problems, I have never hit a brick wall and couldn't do something, the price was ridiculously low, considering the support and tools available here, My conversations with David along the way have always been positive and he has always come across as kind and caring, The big change is coming and whenever it arrives is fine, Thanks to Buzztouch Ive managed to make a living from making apps, considering when I joined I had a very basic view on code and how it all works, Still have a basic knowledge, but thanks to Buzz and the community here, I can produce apps, with the tools available here, you can make great apps and with what ive learned about the change, our apps are just gonna get bigger and better, cheers Sean

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/01/16 07:07 AM (7 years ago)
Thanks Sean! I'd love to make a living from making apps!

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/01/16 07:14 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Kaybee, I hope you are not considering my initial post and follow up a bashing of BT. I think BT is fantastic and only want to 1) understand it, 2) understand what's going on in the community and how to get things done when I run into trouble (and now I hear loud and clear - the forums), 3) wanted to offer suggestions for helping David and BT. I am very happy to hear that it is alive and well and so many people love and protect it. Geez, after my initial post/question, you guys could have said "it's a mess, run!," but you did not, and that is encouraging. :-)

Kaybee
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Sep 22, 2012
Perth, Australi...
06/02/16 04:20 AM (7 years ago)
Hi Amy, nothing directly at you personally, all good :-)

fusionsch
I hate code!
Reg: Dec 28, 2010
Montreux Switze...
06/08/16 12:56 AM (7 years ago)
Hi everybody! As you can see, there are many people that are still here... We believe in Buzztouch and trust David. Our apps are doing fine. Tweaks are required for many plugins, but they still do the job. And members hang around in the forum to help. Keep on! Cheers Jack

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/08/16 05:33 AM (7 years ago)
Thanks Jack! I'm finally getting it! You guys and BT are still here. And I'm also finally getting how to make my (audio player) app work in BT with html, and how to tweak downloads, etc. The people in the forums have been awesome. That said, if I did not know enough to even ask questions on the forums, I (like other people) may have split BT. Some more how-to guides (and/or fixes to BT plugins and downloads) will be useful, but I understand this is a small community and a one-man show, and am very grateful it is here and available. Thank you again. - Amy

amysus
Lost but trying
traveling the w...
06/08/16 07:19 AM (7 years ago)
Hi everyone who has replied here and/or elsewhere. I just subscribed to a year of BT. Thank you for all of your support. I'm having a ton of fun and learning a lot.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.