Discussion Forums  >  Self Hosted Control Panels

Replies: 6    Views: 306

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/29/15 10:01 PM (8 years ago)

I finally found a simple RSS combiner.

I don't do much RSS, but I needed an RSS combiner for a couple of projects, and maybe the future. Since Yahoo Pipes was retired, I've been looking for a way to get my RSS feeds mixed in the simplest way possible. I think I found it: Fresh RSS (http://freshrss.org) Documentation stinks. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to figure out. Download the package. Upload it to a directory on your self hosted server. Setup the Database. Do the install script. Done. Add a few categories. Add a few RSS feeds. Now just use the combined feed in your app. Cheers! -- Smug

Arubaman
Aspiring developer
Reg: Oct 20, 2011
Akron
10/29/15 11:15 PM (8 years ago)
Worth a look, thanks.

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Reg: Mar 05, 2012
Esher, UK
10/30/15 03:04 AM (8 years ago)
Nice one Smug I have also been looking. I saw this before and tried this again today, because of your post. Before I could not get it to work with a mysql database - it doesn't seem to accept hyphen in the user name and my hosting setup always makes the user name with a hyphenated prefix. Today I installed with the mysql lite option and it sailed through. SO I have it working, but with one issue. I like to use thumbnails, which are part of the feeds I tested with. Fresh_Rss seems to strip these out. I'll keep looking and report if I work it out, I was just wondering if you have thumbnails working or know how to? Cheers, Alan

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/30/15 03:09 AM (8 years ago)
I haven't gotten that far, but yeah, that'll almost be a deal breaker... I'll keep you posted. Cheers! -- Smug

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
11/05/15 04:30 AM (8 years ago)
I did some more research, I noticed lots of rss solutions are based on SimplePie (including Joomla, Wordpress and many sites) - http://simplepie.org/ SimplePie is PHP based. I found it easy to install on my server, but a bit daunting to use, as I am close to terrible with php; I rely on finding examples that are close to doing what I want and then I look to try and tweak. There is a feed aggregating script as part of the documentation, plus the web has SimplePie examples published elsewhere. Nothing I found before produced thumbnails, but today I came up with something that aggregates and caches the feeds I use and I found a way to add a thumbnail, which fulfilled my needs. I have spent months looking for something to adequately replace Pipes for my project, and I think you might find this is worth a look. If anyone tries it would like a copy of the SimplePie script I have working (which I found to work OK with RD RSS plugin), just let me know. Alan

MacApple
Apple Fan
Reg: Oct 25, 2010
USA
02/18/16 05:31 PM (8 years ago)
AlanMac - This still working for you? Images and all?

AlanMac
Aspiring developer
Esher, UK
02/19/16 10:58 AM (8 years ago)
Yes, I still like it. I found simplepie to be really solid and I found some code snippets to make it more what I wanted, which also helped me to improve my php, which was terrible and is now now poor. Definately worth a tryout. Alan

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.