dglnz
I hate code!
Reg: Oct 12, 2013
chch
10/13/13 11:00 PM (10 years ago)

Bluetooth no user interface needed

Anyone able to help a Buzz noob? Got a program that interfaces with an Opticon OPN2002 barcode scanner (USB & Bluetooth). The program that does following things... 1. Looks for the name Opticon associated with an the word Opticon. 2. Grab the com port associated with the name. 3. Attempt to connect to the device and download barcodes stored to a filename (date time as the file name). 4. clear out all barcodes. 5. check the date & time (if out adjust the settings). I don't need a user interface as the barcodes once downloaded will be sent via GSM modem to a web server for further processing, This can be a separate app if need be. Lastly once the data file has been sent it is moved to another folder for storeage. Anyone able to give pointers on how i can achieve these things I'd be mighty grateful. Dave.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/13/13 11:23 PM (10 years ago)
As I said in a different post, I'm not much of a Bluetooth explorer... But this might help shed 'some' light on it... http://www.pocketmagic.net/2012/07/bluetooth-and-ios-use-bluetooth-in-your-iphone-apps/ The same site has some articles on Bluetooth/Android as well if that was where you were heading. Cheers! -- Smug

dglnz
I hate code!
chch
10/16/13 06:59 PM (10 years ago)
Hi SmugWimp, It looks promising after having a very quick look. Have you done anything like this? I'm floundering a bit in trying to get something that doesn't need user input or even a user interface for that matter. Would like it to be I suppose like a service, something that once started will poll for a BT connection, If one is found then to test the device name is Opticon and then either go to sleep for X seconds or to interrogate the scanner for new barcodes and download them if their are barcodes present. dave.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
10/16/13 11:29 PM (10 years ago)
The last time I did any bluetooth anything was for Ham Radio, and I was designing things using PIC Micro controllers... I've not done anything like that in apps. At least, not yet. Having not done anything like that, the first place I would look is github... https://github.com/search?l=Objective-C&q=bluetooth&ref=cmdform&type=Repositories or maybe google's code repositories... http://code.google.com/query/#q=bluetooth Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
10/22/13 08:25 AM (10 years ago)
Made any progress?

dglnz
I hate code!
chch
10/22/13 08:29 PM (10 years ago)
hi Niraj, Would love to say yes but honestly I'm having a dog of a time just trying to get a sample app up :(, Let alone this app. If you have any code or feel inclined to "DO" it I'd be grateful. not even got to see how to use buzz. Dave

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
10/22/13 10:00 PM (10 years ago)
Try watching a few videos on this site to get started with BT. Let us know how you get along!

dglnz
I hate code!
chch
10/24/13 02:17 AM (10 years ago)
previous post _was_ me being extremely cheeky :) been watching video's tonight, don't think it'll be easy, well first thought's but will have to pull out my book on java and see if i can get some code to work as native java with Bluetooth. Once achieved then see about pulling created code into android enviroment (seems doable). my problem is how to do this so that it runs almost like a service in linux/windows/mac environment (user clicks or starts the app at the beginning of their shift (or even better when device is started/turned on each time) and it sits polling for the BT device to connect or become visible (BT device is already paired etc). me thinks I've got some things cut out for me :)

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
10/24/13 08:39 AM (10 years ago)
Check on the open source sites for the Bluetooth code. Try github.com as a starting point. Zbar is an open source scanning library. They also have made an iPhone app named Zbar. Download and try it. It is not Bluetooth nor laser, it uses the built-in camera on iPhone. -- Niraj

dglnz
I hate code!
chch
10/26/13 12:47 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks - Niraj, Will look into that. Also I've been looking at some of the buzz vid's and am thinking of getting out my dusty java book and looking at how to do what i want in java then port it across to android or at least how to port it across. Dave.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.