Discussion Forums  >  App Store Rejections

Replies: 29    Views: 494

Becky
I hate code!
Reg: Aug 08, 2012
NYC
11/04/13 07:49 PM (10 years ago)

iPhone app accepted, iPad rejected

I find this interesting. I created an app for both iPhone and iPad. The iPhone version was accepted but the iPad version rejected. The app features Kittsy's favourite plugin and also has Socialize. If anyone has any ideas on how to make my iPad app acceptable for iPad in regards to their message, that would be great. I find their rejection extremely weird :)) Here's the message: 10.6: Apple and our customers place a high value on simple, refined, creative, well thought through interfaces. They take more work but are worth it. Apple sets a high bar. If your user interface is complex or less than very good it may be rejected When I questioned them further, I received this response... Hi Becky, Thank you for your response. The iPad only app needs to be optimized for the device. In other words it needs to take advantage of the iPad capabilities and real estate with a custom user experience, distinctly different from that of your iPhone apps. Some iPad specific iOS features you can consider are Split View or Popover.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
11/04/13 08:11 PM (10 years ago)
For a couple of my plugins, I created specific xib files for the ipad… it may be what's needed? Good Luck! Cheers! -- Smug

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/04/13 08:38 PM (10 years ago)
When I research XIB, I'm at a complete loss and just wish I could go back to first name basis:) That being said, I don't know much about code. Is this something you would still recommend?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/04/13 09:07 PM (10 years ago)
Well, the bottom line is that Apple wants the iPad version to look as nice as the iPhone version. If you're not able to directly modify the plugin, you may want to do some custom art for the iPad versions, so it looks like it was 'made' for the iPad. Every little bit helps. Cheers! -- smug

EdReyes
Lost but trying
Reg: Oct 21, 2013
location unknow...
11/04/13 09:31 PM (10 years ago)
Whats the name of the app that accepted, link please

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/04/13 09:55 PM (10 years ago)
Smug - This is what weirded me out about the rejection - I made the app specifically for iPad. It was a whole separate app from the iPhone version. It looked just as pretty and it was optimized for the iPad. EdReyes - Here's a link to the iPhone version.. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/101+-paleo-smoothies/id734235698?ls=1&mt=8

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/04/13 09:59 PM (10 years ago)
Ed - I sent you the heavy version, here's the lite.. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/101+-paleo-smoothies-lite/id734265723?ls=1&mt=8

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/04/13 11:18 PM (10 years ago)
Hmm.. the iPhone version looks rather nice, going on the screen shots… Can you throw a couple of your iPad screenshots up? If it was built for the iPad originally, unless it was sent to a grumpy reviewer I'm not sure 'why' they'd reject it. Cheers! -- Smug

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/04/13 11:30 PM (10 years ago)
This is my issue Smug, the iPad rejection was strange. They are asking me to do more than I ever thought possible. What more could you want besides Kittsy and Socialize? Thank you for the compliment on my iPhone v btw. I've never done dropbox and this may be my first time.

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/04/13 11:33 PM (10 years ago)
Oh, while I'm procrastinating, I hear that once you have a reviewer, you're stuck with them. Best to make them happy the second time around.

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
11/04/13 11:34 PM (10 years ago)
If you resubmit the iPhone and iPad app together, I bet it will go through. Apple likes apps to be universal. If for iPad only, it needs to be special in some way.

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/04/13 11:49 PM (10 years ago)
Susan - I submitted them together. They were reviewed together. The iPhone versions were accepted, the iPad, declined. This really weirds me out in the sense that, Apple is becoming more restrictive. I'm not only asking for help but giving out an alert.

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/04/13 11:53 PM (10 years ago)
Smug, I'm not into dropbox, can I PM you with the screenshots?

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 12:02 AM (10 years ago)
Susan, They are the same apps, but separate apps. They were reviewed at the same time and iPhone was accepted and at the same time, iPad was rejected. From what they explained to me was... The iPad only app needs to be optimized for the device. In other words, it needs to take advantage of the iPad capabilities and real estate with a custom user experience, distinctly different from that of your iPhone apps. Some iPad specific iOS features you can consider are Split View or Popover. To me, this is an alert for all. I can not imagine any Apple reviewer rejecting me when I have socialize and Kittsy.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/05/13 12:05 AM (10 years ago)
Perhaps you can 'update' your iPhone version as a 'universal' version? Which basically means just compile it for both devices and resubmit the result. Cheers! -- Smug

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 12:26 AM (10 years ago)
Smug - compatibility is a huge issue. Why do you think I built two different versions?

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 12:29 AM (10 years ago)
Buzztouch won't allow me the option of universal.

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 12:37 AM (10 years ago)
Susan, you get it for the most part. Thank you.

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2012
Lisbon
11/05/13 12:44 AM (10 years ago)
All BuzzTouch apps are universal by default. Then you have the Option to make only for iPhone or iPad on Xcode. I think apple wants images optimized for iPad.

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 01:14 AM (10 years ago)
MadRod, Buzztouch Apps are not all universal apps. They used to be, not any more. Second, I'm not trying to be rude, but why do you keep telling me to optimize for iPad when I already have?

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 01:31 AM (10 years ago)
The iPad only app needs to be optimized for the device. In other words, it needs to take advantage of the iPad capabilities and real estate with a custom user experience, distinctly different from that of your iPhone apps. Some iPad specific iOS features you can consider are Split View or Popover.

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 01:37 AM (10 years ago)
Sorry, everyone. MadRod especially. I don't mean to be rude. Much love to all of you.:)

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/05/13 03:22 AM (10 years ago)
Don't sweat it. We know you're not rude… You're frustrated, lol! To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of like MadRod; I don't understand why it can't be universal. We're not trying to be patronizing; we're genuinely confused. I have 3 apps released, and all 3 use the same BT Control panel. There are versions for both Android and iOS, and the iOS versions are universal; they work on both iPad and iPhone (and iPod Touch). And I keep my iOS version at 5.1 for backward compatibility with the iPad v1, because that's what I still have. The only 'major' modification I've had to make to distinguish between iPhone and iPad were the custom xib files I used for my 'Over Here' app, in a custom plugin I created. Otherwise, it's all the same code, same plugins, same control panel 'app'… same everything except of course for some of the Art, which is sized for each device. We're not here to give you the third degree… We just want to help. Cheers! -- Smug

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Lisbon
11/05/13 03:33 AM (10 years ago)
I guess if you wanna put out an ipad only version, it's gotta use something different then the iphone version. Using some resources that the iphone does not have, like the ones mentioned by apple. Otherwise, if you're submitting the same app, might as well submit it as one universal app. Why do you say the BT app's are not universal?

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 03, 2010
Medford, MA
11/05/13 04:52 AM (10 years ago)
I agree with the others... all of my apps have been universal by default including those I made recently. You have the option in Xcode of selecting which devices to build for. Apple seems to be more tolerant of the iPad version for universal apps- so it can look like the iPhone version but just with bigger images, rows, text, etc. But if you build an app specifically for iPad they have higher standards and want it to look like an iPad app and not just a big iPhone app. So personally I think universal app is the way to go. Not to mention that it may upset some customers having to pay for two versions of the same app when there's no difference between them.

Kittsy
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Feb 22, 2012
Liverpool
11/05/13 05:15 AM (10 years ago)
"To me, this is an alert for all. I can not imagine any Apple reviewer rejecting me when I have socialize and Kittsy." I know I've made it at Buzztouch, when I'm referred to as a service/feature and not a real person lol. I will have to side with Becky here, although Buzztouch let's you create universal apps the resulting ipad versions tend to be just a larger stretched out version of the iphone counterparts. David has kindly elt us add larger images for these devices to reduce scaling images with them. advanced simple menu == bigger picture, bigger table bigger font, still just stretched accross the screen. simple menu button == bigger images layout never seems to look right Carousel == not to shabby lol reacts to sizes well lol. But when teh new update is released it will have seperate controls for ipad and iphone. xib button menu == has a seperate xib for ipad and iphone but again limited functionality. If it is ipad only and it involves lists it wants you to use split view, I've had some success but it's not easy to port as a plugin. you would have the right hand side be your menu list tehn the big box to teh right would show your next screen in teh case of this app it would look great and follows on what a number of recipe apps to already. This function is not readily available with buzztouch. As a ios programmer and buzztouch plugin creator I find myself frustrated with ipad screen sizes with the rotate being the biggest problem. I dread it when someone asks for a universal plugin because filling real estate on an ipad screen is so much more difficult.

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 09:47 AM (10 years ago)
First I have to say, I love all of your names. We've got Kittsy, Mutzy, MadRod, and SmugWimp. And, yes, Kittsy, you're definitely an icon. I would love to just make my apps universal but a while ago, after a Buzztouch update, my universal apps started getting rejected. The reason being was because it wasn't stretching out my .png files for the iPad app. Apple would send me screenshots of a tiny .png file stuck in the top left hand corner. I figured this was just a feature that was no longer, but from reading your comments, it's still available? Why don't my screens stretch anymore?

Becky
I hate code!
NYC
11/05/13 09:52 AM (10 years ago)
First I have to say, I love all of your names. We've got Kittsy, Mutzy, MadRod, and SmugWimp. And, yes, Kittsy, you're definitely an icon. I would love to just make my apps universal but a while ago, after a Buzztouch update, my universal apps started getting rejected. The reason being was because it wasn't stretching out my .png files for the iPad app. Apple would send me screenshots of a tiny .png file stuck in the top left hand corner. I figured this was just a feature that was no longer, but from reading your comments, it's still available? Why don't my screens stretch anymore?

MadRod
Aspiring developer
Lisbon
11/05/13 10:50 AM (10 years ago)
lol

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Tamuning, GU
11/05/13 03:11 PM (10 years ago)
What kind of plugins are you using to display the image? If you sent screen shots to my email, I might have accidentally deleted them (sorry! I get a lot of email that I barely glance at the subject lines for...) try sending again. Cheers! -- Smug

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.