Discussion Forums  >  App Store Rejections

Replies: 3    Views: 337

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
09/24/13 04:04 PM (10 years ago)

Question on Apple's Guidelines

So I'm working on a Universal Studios park app, which locates and gives details on all the rides, food carts, stores, etc, which there are quite a few variations of already in the app store. My question is, how far can I go with Apple as far as Universal's logos, brands, pictures, etc? I'm assuming pictures of their iconic globe are OK, even though they use it for their logo, because it's a public display. I have a screen where you need to select which park you want (original, islands of adventure, or citywalk), and would like to use the logos for each, but will this be an automatic rejection from Apple? They also have a Harry Potter section. In my menu, I simply call it "Harry Potter", but that's obviously a trademarked name from JK Rowling... will using those words be enough for an app store rejection? Same thing with including pictures of The Simpsons area for example... it's part of Universal Studios, but the pictures show iconic symbols and characters which would be trademarked by FOX. Can they be included, under Apple's policies? Maybe there is a rule that if it's a picture of a public place, it's ok? Not sure. In the park food menus, some of them have the coke logos (and related product logos) instead of a text name. Again, will using cokes logos in my app be a recipe for rejection? I'm not too worried about the copyright/trademark law itself... more of the rejection/acceptance policy of apple. I have done a "Diners, DriveIns & Dives" app in the past. I didn't use any of their logos or images, so I was OK there... Apple just made me change the name a few times before approval to meet the following format: "APP NAME - Diner's, DriveIns & Dives Edition" So as far as the Universal app, I'll be using the same naming format, so the name usage of Universal isn't an issue... it's more related to the logos and images (I think). Any advice, or similar experiences with apple in regards to including company logos and/or trademarks?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
09/24/13 04:39 PM (10 years ago)
I'm no lawyer, but the Apple Review Guidelines (section 8.5) state: "Apps may not use protected third party material such as trademarks, copyrights, patents or violate 3rd party terms of use. Authorization to use such material must be provided upon request." Which basically means (going back to the 'not a lawyer' statement) you can't use another company's trademark without permission and/or attribution. I can't say if it's needed or if I'm just lucky, but I always attribute other content sources (if applicable) in my 'about' page on the app. (example: Garmin® is a registered trademark of Garmin Ltd or it's subsidiaries...) Hope this helps. Cheers! -- Smug

Angry Ninja
Aspiring developer
Reg: Aug 25, 2013
Maine
09/24/13 04:49 PM (10 years ago)
Yes, it does, thanks. I'm wondering about public display photos. For example, if I take a picture with my camera of Bart Simpson in the Simpsons area, and include that photo in my app, would that be in violation? Same thing with the spinning universal globe on display... It's a life size version of their logo, but a public display. Good idea on the about screen... Might be worth a try.

affinitymc
I hate code!
Reg: Aug 21, 2013
Edmonton
12/29/14 01:40 PM (9 years ago)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.