Discussion Forums  >  Maps, Device Location, Tracking

Replies: 8    Views: 289

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
08/04/14 08:49 AM (9 years ago)

Location Map and Amazon Devices - Failed Test

So I've been working for 2 months (almost) on the current version of my Map App. (Much of the time on organizing the location data.) A list of tourism sights for each of 12 Travel Areas of the world, countries in that area, cities in that country, tourism categories... then Location Map with marker pins on the live map with user's current location shown. So here's the new 900 lb Gorilla in the room: Location Map doesn't work with Amazon Kindle devices. Why? Because it uses Google Maps. The error messages (below) also show that Menu Simple isn't working on Amazon devices (Kindles)! First Menu Simple for the Main Menu, then for the list of States, then for the Cities in the State, then for the Categories - then for the Map with marker pins. The report says Main Menu went to the list of States, but then tapping on Alaska brought up a blank screen, rather than the list of cities in Alaska. Works fine on non-Amazon Android devices (per their test), on my Visual Land Android 4.1, and on my iPhone. When I added the App to my account with Amazon, there was a checkbox, something about substituting Amazon or someone else's maps, for Google maps. I just checked the Location Map plug-in's details page, and there's no caveat that it wont work on Amazon devices. (Kindle this and that.) So what?? No big deal that my App won't work on Amazon devices (Kindles)?? When it will work on non-Amazon Android devices? Should there be a version of Location Map that works on Kindles - but then might not work on non-Amazon Androids? And labeled as such? Separate Apps? How do you submit non-Amazon Android and Amazon device specific Apps? And what about the error they got with Menu Simple on Kindles? Not a "error message" on the screen, but a blank page where they should have seen the next menu. Devices where the app CLEARED testing Device Result Comments Non-Amazon Android PASS N/A Devices where the app FAILED testing Device Result Comments Fire HDX 7 WAN (3rd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Kindle Fire HD 7 (3rd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Fire HD 8.9 WAN (2nd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Fire HDX 7 WiFi (3rd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Fire HD 8.9 Wifi (2nd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (3rd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Fire HDX 8.9 WiFi (3rd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Kindle Fire (1st Gen) FAIL Observation:- Parse Error - Higher Android Version Required : App requires minimum Android 4.0 version which is not supported by this device. Kindle Fire (2nd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Kindle Fire HD 7 (2nd Gen) FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page. Fire phone FAIL Observation:- Unable to use app/Core functionality not working : Step to reproduce: 1.Install and launch the app. 2.Tap on menu at top right corner and tap on Refresh all data. 3.Tap on On to The Maps 4.Tap on AK it displays blank page.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
08/04/14 09:15 AM (9 years ago)
Yeah, it's tricky with Amazon. You basically have to strip out all references to Google in your app. I had to do that for a simple app, and was able to get it working, but not until I met that requirements. Google maps for sure won't fly, as you've seen. Mark

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
08/04/14 09:57 AM (9 years ago)
Menu Simple is not working, either!

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Reg: Jan 04, 2013
Amarillo, Texas
08/04/14 12:48 PM (9 years ago)
Amazon has their own maps library to use maps

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
08/04/14 01:09 PM (9 years ago)

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
08/04/14 01:10 PM (9 years ago)
OK - but BuzzTouch has Location Map, and some of you here have made Map plugins. Do we not care about Kindle devices? Financially? Is this too new that no one has yet to make an Amazon device-friendly Map plugin? To make one App for iOS and Android, and one for Kindles?? What about Menu Simple not working on Amazon devices? Works fine on iOS and regular Android devices.

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
08/04/14 01:20 PM (9 years ago)
Amazon just released their map library not too long ago so before you didnt have to change anything.code does work with amazon just jave to add linea to manifest and a simple if statement.I dont have a problem on any of my amazon app that use simple list menu so im not sure on that.my apps are even approved for the new amazon firefly phone

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
08/05/14 12:13 PM (9 years ago)
^^^^ Something is lost in the translation? Where does one find what lines of code to put where in Manifest?

CMCOFFEE
Android Fan
Amarillo, Texas
08/05/14 12:37 PM (9 years ago)
In the,link I posted above

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.