Discussion Forums  >  Images, Documents, File Locations

Replies: 4    Views: 113

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
12/03/13 04:39 PM (10 years ago)

Can I have Retina images hosted online

Hi all, I feel like I am hijacking the forums this evening, and in many ways I am, but this is just a small little questions that I really want to know the answer to. For the Christmas season, I am giving my app a graphical makeover. For the last few days, I have looked at the possibility of going through an update with Apple. This is not preferable, as this will take time, and we'll already be half way through the Christmas Season. However, when viewing images on the iPhone and it is not retina quality, it looks awful. So was just wandering whether I could host images for both retina and normal quality without having to make any changes in the app code.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
12/03/13 05:13 PM (10 years ago)
a @2x will not be automatically picked up from offline. But if you use an @2x image, would it not work for both sizes? (providing the standard is scaled) Cheers! -- Smug

xparte
Aspiring developer
Reg: May 08, 2012
location unknow...
12/03/13 08:26 PM (10 years ago)
I just use a @2x for images hosted online and automatically scale it down so it looks nice for both. However, need to keep an eye on the image size as the @2x images are now going to be a lot bigger in size.

Jake Chasan
Veteran developer
Reg: May 13, 2011
location unknow...
12/03/13 08:59 PM (10 years ago)
@Thomas: Look into this if you want to use Retina Display icons online: http://retinajs.com Jake

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
12/04/13 10:51 AM (10 years ago)
Thanks all. I have tried hosting both images online before, in the hope that the iPhone would automatically detect the other image, but it doesn't work when you are hosting the image online.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.