Discussion Forums  >  Buzztouch News and Announcements

Replies: 29    Views: 362

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Reg: Sep 11, 2012
Maplewood
09/04/14 06:32 AM (9 years ago)

New BuzzTouch book

Hi, I've created a book called "Creating Ios Mobile Apps With No Coding". This new book walks BEGINNERS through the process of creating their first buzztouch mobile app on iOS. It is meant to be a quick start tutorial to take you from start to finish. It is available here (https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/creating-ios-mobile-apps-no/id915002728?mt=11&uo=4)) I'm very thankful to the buzztouch community that helped make this book possible.

GoNorthWest
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jun 24, 2011
Oro Valley, AZ
09/04/14 08:37 AM (9 years ago)
Looks pretty interesting! Mark

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Jul 11, 2012
Cerritos
09/04/14 09:06 AM (9 years ago)
Mighty cool ! Here is a clickable tappable link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/creating-ios-mobile-apps-no/id915002728?mt=11&uo=4 Curious, it says some parts are interactive, how so? For the screenshots, can you add a few more showing the interactivity, code samples, control panel, etc. Perhaps the first screenshot might scare a few folks away with that $79 price tag as the first thing they see? This iBook took a lot of work, congratulations! :-) -- Niraj

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
09/04/14 09:10 AM (9 years ago)
You should ask Susan if the iBook link can be placed into the How-To section of this web site. Not sure if that would be acceptable to the BuzzTouch ethos. It's worth asking! -- Niraj

Nicks App
Code is Art
Reg: May 21, 2014
Las Vegas
09/04/14 11:01 AM (9 years ago)
But will they get approved by the App Storer?

Stobe
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Mar 04, 2011
Fredericksburg,...
09/04/14 11:02 AM (9 years ago)
I hope it wouldn't take too much time updating the book. Just in case there were some changes coming.....

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/04/14 12:16 PM (9 years ago)
Niraj, Thanks for your comments and the link. It is interactive elements because it contains videos, clickable pictures, widgets, etc. Putting together a iBook is very challenging, but was fulfilling at the same time.

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/04/14 12:18 PM (9 years ago)
Strobe, Yeah, i guess if there are changes to the buzz touch sdk, which I saw there wasn't going to be, then I would update the account.

tb
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: Nov 03, 2011
Oxford
09/04/14 01:01 PM (9 years ago)
As it happens, I'm running a 'Make an iOS app without code' meetup on Saturday. Could I use some of your content and recommend the book?

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
09/04/14 03:50 PM (9 years ago)
There indeed will be changes to BuzzTouch later this year. We have seen previews on Webinars. Being in the hottest technology field means one has to expect change. Stay adept and be agile, you will surely capture new opportunities! -- Niraj

mysps
Code is Art
Reg: May 14, 2011
Palma
09/04/14 05:42 PM (9 years ago)
Congrats on the book. Is it bit expensive for only 39 pages?

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/04/14 06:05 PM (9 years ago)
Strobe, Yeah, i guess if there are changes to the buzz touch sdk, which I saw there wasn't going to be, then I would update the account.

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/04/14 06:06 PM (9 years ago)

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/04/14 06:13 PM (9 years ago)
mysps, I think the book will probably be lowered to the 9.99 price tier shortly, but not any lower. It is relatively short, so I will be adjusting accordingly nirah, Thanks for the information on the updates. The book will definitely be updated when the new code changes

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
09/04/14 10:32 PM (9 years ago)
I'll think about posting it in the How To's. Until now, everything there is free, so I need to think it through and ask the leadership team. Can you get promo codes for the book so we can review it?

Tyroner
Aspiring developer
Reg: Dec 26, 2012
Johannesburg, S...
09/05/14 05:07 AM (9 years ago)
It is not available in the South African Appstore

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/05/14 05:12 AM (9 years ago)
Susan, Yes, I can give you promo codes to review the book. Please let me know how many you need. Thanks

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/05/14 05:33 AM (9 years ago)
Tyroner, It was published to all 51 bookstores. I don't see south africa listed as a choice.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
09/05/14 07:55 AM (9 years ago)
To expand your market reach, a Kindle and ePub edition will help get more readers. -- Niraj

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/05/14 09:56 AM (9 years ago)
Tyroner, It was published to all 51 bookstores. I don't see south africa listed as a choice.

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/05/14 09:57 AM (9 years ago)
Niraj, The kindle mobi version will be available shortly.

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
09/05/14 10:33 AM (9 years ago)
Cool, be sure to share your techniques on how the contents for the iBook transform over into the Kindke format. Dusko, a great guy on these forums, does Kindle books. He generates them from a custom-built server. I think he also generates the JSON book files for his BuzzTouch-enabled books for the Androids. -- Niraj

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/05/14 11:52 AM (9 years ago)
Niraj, The kindle mobi version will be available shortly.

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/06/14 10:03 AM (9 years ago)
FYI: The kindle mobi version was submitted to Amazon and should be available later today. The price will be $4.99 and the ibooks version has been lowered to $9.99. Niraj, the conversion was a huge pain. For the conversion I used pages, jutoh, calibre, and sigil. Yes four apps. I could of substituted scrivener for jutoh, but I like the way Jutoh works. I created a pages document and copied elements of the ibooks author book over. I did this manually. This was a good amount of time. I'm sure I could of just copied it over to jutoh but I didn't. Once my pages document was good. I exported to an epub. Well of course, the pages export to epub is never 100%. In fact it was maybe about 50%. I then opened up the ebook in sigil to look at it. It definitely wasn't the way i wanted it to be, so I just imported the ebook into Jutoh, and edited it that way. I knew the output would be close to what I needed, because i've done this before. Once I finished editing the ebook, I exported from jutoh to an epub. That worked, but the problem was this. I had to keep tweaking in sigil, etc. I decided finally to just export the .mobi file from Jutoh, and that worked ok. I was pretty happy with the output, once I reviewed it in Calibre. How i would do it in the future is this. Copy all the elements from ibooks author into Jutoh. I would make sure that all styles, etc are correct. I don't know, but I err on the side of caution, so I would publish to epub. Open it up in sigil and verify, if it's not what I need, then I would edit the epub directly. If it's pretty good, then I could export the .mobi file from Jutoh. Calibre sometimes changes certain things on the conversion to .mobi. Probably because certain things aren't in both formats. Once in mobi, you have your final file. Needless to say, it's challenging

Niraj
buzztouch Evangelist
Cerritos
09/06/14 10:11 AM (9 years ago)
Thank you for sharing your techniques! After a while, please let us know which edition provides more readership. Also, what marketing are you using to inform potential readers? Perhaps ePub is the biggest market in terms of platform compatibility? -- Niraj

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/08/14 05:24 AM (9 years ago)

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/08/14 10:22 AM (9 years ago)
FYI: The kindle book is located at http://amzn.to/WGGvPi just an fyi

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
09/08/14 10:37 AM (9 years ago)
I've helped get 300 text and photo eBooks to Kindle, Nook and Kobo. The easiest is photo books. Which suggests that the best way to get a .mobi and .ePub book with text and images on the same page, with the need to preserve pagination and proper placement of elements, is to PDF each page at the source, and make the eBook out of the PDFs. You can still create hypertext links! I scripted an automated process to make books, based on TCPDF code samples. Making the ePub was fun! The resultant ePub is actually a set of files and folders .zip'd - then renamed .ePub instead of .zip! The images go in one folder, the TOC must match. You can learn yourself by picking an ePub of your choice, and unzipping it! I did, and then wrote a PHP script that creates the proper set of files and folders - and then .zip's it and renames it. Of course SIGIL is amazing in its simplicity and ability! And I use the kindlegen app for OSX that makes the .mobi file from OSX command line in Terminal.

orangetraining
Aspiring developer
Maplewood
09/08/14 11:48 AM (9 years ago)
very cool....a million solutions to exporting epubs. Has anyone tried indesign?

Nicks App
Code is Art
Las Vegas
09/08/14 12:28 PM (9 years ago)
Argh, I made 200+ books in InDesign. Painstaking, painful, repetitious drag and drop of photos, with cropping and centering. Then, Lion broke CS. I switched to Pages a year later, when I retired the last machine still on whatever was prior to Lion. Pages! Awesome! Amazing! Simple! Fantastic results! No more headaches! But, then, one day it nagged at me that there had to be a simpler way of creating a .PDF out of a bunch of .TIFFs, than dragging and dropping into inDesign or Pages. That was when I discovered TCPDF. On my webserver, I could take a directory of 49 images and make a 50-page PDF, with page numbers, whatever that tag line of text is called that you can have running with the page number at the bottom or top on odd or even or both pages, plus a table of contents page built from my SQL table, and a front cover and back cover with title size fonts. All via PHP script on my webserver. After all, what Amazon's www.CreateSpace.com wants for a print paperback, is a PDF. Actually two PDFs, the cover being its own double-size document (e.g. 16.25"x10"), plus the interior (e.g. 8"x10"). But Kindle .mobi, Nook .ePub, Kobo .ePub want one document, front to back. The TCPDF process I wrote took a couple of weeks to get production ready. It starts with sizing images to fit (I do the cropping and color changes in Preview, then sizing and .jpg to .TIFF conversion in multiple TCPDF PHP scripts). Then, the cover gets built from the $title in the SQL table and the first photo in alphanumeric order, the Table of Contents page gets built from the $title and $description from SQL, and other cross sales marketing info I want, then the rest of the PDF is made from the rest of the images in the directory, in alphanumeric order, then the back cover is built like the front cover was built, but with the last remaining image in the directory. The CreateSpace double size cover is then built from the first and last pages. The .ePub is built from the image directory, now including a .PDF of the front cover, TOC page and the back cover. I build the .mobi from the downloaded .ePub, using kindlegen on my MacMini OSX via Terminal. But if you one have one book to produce - Pages is amazing! I started to write a 300 page text book with it. But then I realized that I could use similar TCPDF scripts to take all of my text files, in alphanumeric order, build a .PDF out of all 20 of those files, plus build a table of contents from the file names of the 20 files. (I think I manually did the page numbers in the TOC, but my script did the page numbers throughout the rest of the book.) I made the cover in Pages by hand, because I had images and text to display, in a more artistic style, that a script could produce.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.