Discussion Forums  >  WebViews and HTML for Mobile

Replies: 7    Views: 396

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 29, 2015
Canberra
08/18/15 05:33 PM (8 years ago)

My html is sooooo boring......

Hey guys, I have created my app which includes quite a few html templates (the plugin) which feature details about local businesses. But wow, is it boring!!!! Can anyone please provide advice on where I can get some good templates or themes so I can cut and copy the html into my plugin and edit as required. Alternatively, and this may be another topic, should I be linking to an external page instead of using the plugin? What works better? I will be self hosting my app in the next day or so! Thanks. Rob

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
08/18/15 10:25 PM (8 years ago)
My HTML is boring too, lol! Artistic style is not my big thing. I usually get someone else to do my design, or I make do with my ugly efforts. I don't use the 'customHTML' plugin. I prefer using HTMLDoc or Chris' HTML Pro. This allows me the option to include my HTML in the app bundle. If things change after the app has been released, I can still utilize the dataURL to allow new content to be introduced and cached in the app. Just my 3¢ Cheers! -- Smug

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/18/15 10:34 PM (8 years ago)
Thanks Smug, yep me too! I will definitely not win any artisic awards for my app, but I just want to make sure it's a little visually pleasing to the end user. I'll check out the other two plugin's to see if I can make them look better. Always appreciate your 3c, cause in Australia that's about 5c ;-) Thanks. Rob

mutzy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Nov 03, 2010
Medford, MA
08/19/15 06:31 AM (8 years ago)
I'm no designer by any means but I'll put what I use as the header in all my html files (with some css styling built in) and then you can tweak as needed? This has been a work in progress for over 5 years. You could also play around with the font some. Hope it helps! <head> <meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv="content-type"> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;"> <title>Sample Pagel</title> <style type="text/css"> table { font-size:13px; border: 1px solid #a1a1a1; padding: 5px 5px; background: #ffffff; width: 95%; border-radius: 10px; } div { font-size:13px; border: 1px solid #a1a1a1; padding: 5px 5px; background: #ffffff; width: 95%; border-radius: 10px; } img { width: 100%; max-width: 500px; } </style> </head> Josh

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/19/15 03:57 PM (8 years ago)
That's great, thanks for sharing Josh. I'll test it out!

Susan Metoxen
buzztouch Evangelist
Reg: May 01, 2011
Hopkins, Minnes...
08/19/15 07:37 PM (8 years ago)
I've been making more websites than apps lately. I would add Twitter Bootstrap to your html screens so you can do a nice job with all types of devices. It took me about a weekend to figure it out and incorporate it. W3Schools has a nice tutorial. The main feature you are looking for is the ability to stack your content, so it displays in multiple columns on tablets and one column on a smartphone. Bootstrap gives you complete control. Bootstrap has a lot of other nice app friendly features that I use a lot for photo galleries.

thynkapps
Aspiring developer
Canberra
08/19/15 08:39 PM (8 years ago)
That sounds awesome Susan, I had heard of Boostrap before but have never actually bothered to learn what it is. I'll take a look at it right now. Appreciate the advice. Thanks. Rob

ictguy
Aspiring developer
Reg: Jun 17, 2011
Mildura, Austra...
08/20/15 06:56 PM (8 years ago)
I'd agree with Susan, bootstrap is a good choice. I've also used jquery mobile a lot. I really like the ability to "roll" your own theme .... https://themeroller.jquerymobile.com Just my 2c (and that's in Australian, so probably worth about 1 cent to you smug and Susan!)

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.