Discussion Forums  >  Config Data, JSON, App Refresh

Replies: 6    Views: 152

KRima
Apple Fan
Reg: Jan 27, 2013
Sydney
06/16/13 04:06 PM (10 years ago)

Another Live VS Design mode question.

Thank you for those who assisted me in getting my first app on the App Store but i have a question to ask regarding 'design' and 'live' modes. I understand i need to set the app to 'live' mode before submitting to the app store for review. Then i change it back to 'design' mode once i am working on an update. After all changes have been made and i am happy with the additions i made to the app, when do i change it back to 'live' mode and hit the publish button? Do i change it back to 'live' mode before i submit to the app store for revision (which i presume would be the case) or do i have to do something else? The thing is as soon as i set it back to 'live' mode and press the "publish" button, the clients who downloaded the app will get all these errors between me pressing the "publish" button and Apple reviewing the changes and approving them which may be a few days. What am i supposed to be doing and when?

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/16/13 04:34 PM (10 years ago)
It's a little different than the way you're currently thinking... In the 'old' BT (pre-2.1.8) there was no live mode... all changes in the control panel were reflected in the distributed app immediately upon refresh. This isn't always a good thing, especially if you're testing new features for an existing app. So David implemented 'two' modes; Live and Design. The big difference here is in the BT_config.txt file... if it is set to 'Live', then NO changes in the control panel will be 'apparent' to the Live configuration until you press the 'publish' button. However your test app, with a 'design' mode config file, will implement ALL Changes on refresh. So, Published apps should be submitted with 'Live' mode implemented in the BT_config.txt file. And you never want to resubmit them with a different mode. 'Design' mode is only for your testing, and should not be apparent to users with the app 'in the wild'... Does this make things any clearer? Cheers! -- Smug

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/16/13 05:02 PM (10 years ago)
I understand this completely. So if the BT_config.txt file is submitted to the app store with the new additions, what is the point of the publish button? The user will still download the update with the new BT_config.txt file anyway.

SmugWimp
Smugger than thou...
Reg: Nov 07, 2012
Tamuning, GU
06/16/13 05:15 PM (10 years ago)
It will only update with the BT_config.txt file you've published... But if you were fooling around with setting while testing something out, they would not notice it... which is the way it's supposed to work... You can make changes and try things out, on your 'test' device (in 'Design' mode) all day long, and no one will be the wiser. Cheers! -- Smug

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/16/13 05:53 PM (10 years ago)
I put my app is live mode and published it and because I changed an image it came up as a ? Mark on the client's version. Oops. So from now on I will not hit the publish button rather copy and paste the design BT_config.txt file into Xcode and then change the design to live before archiving.

AndyM
Lost but trying
Reg: Feb 18, 2013
Elberton
06/16/13 07:39 PM (10 years ago)
If you uploaded the app in Live Mode into X-Code and then to Apple, you don't have to change it back to design mode. You can edit the menu screens, and it won't be live to the user's device until you hit publish. Was the missing image loaded in the App in the first place, in the images file, in X-Code, or was it being pulled in from a url?

KRima
Apple Fan
Sydney
06/16/13 10:04 PM (10 years ago)
No the image is in the image library in Xcode. What happened is there was an error in the app that apple seemed to have missed and and i was fixing it and made more changes for an update. After all the changes were made i pressed the publish button and the changes went live to all the people who downloaded the app and because i added an image a ? came up on the screen.

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.