Discussion Forums  >  Plugins, Customizing, Source Code

Replies: 8    Views: 108

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Reg: Apr 12, 2013
Altadena, CA
04/12/13 02:12 PM (11 years ago)

Newbie needing some advice in creating specific functionality for a restaurant app

Hi, I'm new to buzztouch and could use some direction in creating the functionality my client is wanting for their restaurant app. restaurant menu Yelp reviews FB posts photo gallery Any help would be great! Thanks, Theresa

chris1
Code is Art
Reg: Aug 10, 2012
Austin, TX
04/12/13 02:16 PM (11 years ago)
First of all, welcome! I think you'll find Buzztouch exactly what you're looking for - plus a lot more. And the community is great! :) You can easily incorporate these features on a Buzztouch app. Here's one way to do it (with apps and code, there's always multiple ways to do things!) 1) Restaurant Menu - use the PDF Document plugin to display the menu in PDF form 2) Yelp Reviews - use the Custom URL plugin to point to the Yelp website 3) FB Posts - if it's a Facebook Page (as opposed to a "Group"), you can use the Custom URL to point to the Facebook page, which is formatted for mobile. Or, use the new RSS plugin and load the posts that way 4) Photo Gallery - use the Buzz Carousel plugin to display the images - this one will blow the socks off your client and the users. And as always, ask plenty of questions!

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/12/13 02:53 PM (11 years ago)
Oh thank you! I have been racking my brain and feeling frustrated from not knowing where to start with all this! I think Buzztouch has so much to offer and am so happy that there are people like you willing to help lil'l ol me :) Is there a gallery that could be used for both ios and android that you like? Thanks!

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
04/12/13 03:00 PM (11 years ago)
I'm afraid not yet - the plugin market is still fairly new, and Android plugins have been lagging behind iOS ones so far. Expect that to change, though, if I have anything to do with it! :) For now, though, you might try loading the images using HTML, either directly in the app via the HTML Doc plugin, or online at a website using the Custom URL plugin. Both of those are Android-friendly. You'll want to take a look at jQuery Mobile for formatting the webpages for mobile devices.

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/12/13 06:20 PM (11 years ago)
Chris, I was able to pull in the Yelp page for the business but all I really would like to have show up are the reviews. Is there a way to do this?

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
04/12/13 06:37 PM (11 years ago)
I'm not sure - I haven't worked with Yelp before. Is there not a link to a page with just reviews? If not, you may have to use either an API (if they have one) or php to strip out the reviews from the page (called parsing). Both approaches would require a custom screen/plugin to display the data. If I were to do something like that on a contract basis I'd probably charge around $100 for the work.

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/12/13 06:57 PM (11 years ago)
Chris, I was able to pull in the Yelp page for the business but all I really would like to have show up are the reviews. Is there a way to do this?

sxywebgirl
Aspiring developer
Altadena, CA
04/13/13 03:07 PM (11 years ago)
I'm sorry if this question sounds silly but I need to ask... I am using the custom html/text plugin, on one screen I've used an html table code and on another screen I'm adding the code from Yelp bling which is using divs to bring in yelp reviews. When viewed in the ios simulator both are microscopic small and not readable. Plus the Yelp screen is divided in two...the top & bottom border is on the left with the content body on the right. How could I fix this? Thanks

chris1
Code is Art
Austin, TX
04/13/13 03:23 PM (11 years ago)
without seeing it, the issue with the zoom is related to how webpages are viewed on mobile devices. There's a line or two that can be added to the header information that zooms the page properly for a mobile view. If you have access to edit the page you're displaying, you can simply add those headers in. If not (like if the page is on Yelp's servers), then you may be able to trick it by building a webpage using jQuery Mobile that immediately loads the other page. With jQuery Mobile, your initial display settings remain in effect until you call a link with a special tag of rel="external".

Login + Screen Name Required to Post

pointerLogin to participate so you can start earning points. Once you're logged in (and have a screen name entered in your profile), you can subscribe to topics, follow users, and start learning how to make apps like the pros.